2023 Vols Baseball

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by The Dooz, Sep 29, 2022.

1. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

The majority of our fan base didn't know we had a baseball team until two years ago. I love the support the team and program is getting, but those people are very frustrating.

2. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Disappointing loss for sure last night, but the "woe is everything" mentality being displayed by some in the fanbase after singular baseball losses is nauseating. Like yea, guess what idiots? It's called baseball. In baseball you simply are going to lose sometimes. National champions often lose north of 20 games in a season. People assume these mid week games are automatics and don't even realize the dynamics going on. When we are throwing our B pitching on the week night bouts, our opponent is often throwing their ace at us and give us their best punch.

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

i really do think part of it is due to the generations playing Xbox with their own built players and setting up where they go undefeated in sports games in career mode. Teams can’t lose a game in basketball or baseball anymore without supposed fans on social media freaking the [uck fay] out.

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

BC has also won 9 straight now, I think, although I have no idea who they played. Still, they came to play ball.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

As a guy that coaches 9 and 10 year olds, not so fast

6. OneForVol

OneForVol Well-Known Member

We crushed Ole Miss last year and they went on to win the title. We’ll be ok.

7. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

I’m more concerned about the bottom 1/3 of the batting order and the outfield defensively than I am the baserunning, tbh

OneForVol likes this.
  8. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Yeah. That was some crazy out-of-body hitting last year.
    As-well-as all of the series sweeps. I don't recall seeing such a dominate regular season performance than last year.

I apologize for not remembering who on the board said it, but they were right, that many fans with football win brains carry that over to baseball and basketball. That's not how it works.

And I agree, WTF is going on with base running?

And I am still pizzed that a butt-load of our games are carried on SEC+.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

baserunning was a shit show last year we just hit fiftyeleven homers to make up for it.

it’s just one game but baserunning hurt more than the bottom third last night.

outfield defense cost a run too

Poppa T likes this.
  10. Ssmiff

Seems like biggest running mistakes have been late in the game, down and trying to make a play. I like the idea of forcing the other team to make throws but mistakes seem to be more out of desperation or lapse in focus.

11. JohnnyQuickkick

Last night they were just stupidity. Being aggressive and getting thrown out on a great play is one thing. Not tagging up, still trying to score, and getting thrown out by a mile on a terrible throw is another.

12. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Gave up several costly hits/homers with two strike counts too.

13. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Payne would have been safe had his slide been worth a shit, but like his angle was too steep and instead of sliding he just plugged himself into the ground and it kicked him sideways away from the plate. Kinda hard to really explain but it was awkward looking as hell.

14. Ssmiff

was the next batter giving him any help on angle?

15. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

It would seem that on some level, coaching on fundamentals are in order.

16. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I wasn’t paying attention to his teammate honestly.

And he may yet have been out with a better slide too, but it’s my take he would made it.

17. Ssmiff

just wondering if it’s a total breakdown on every level or if anybody..runner, coach, teammate was doing their job. Doesn’t sound like it.

18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Nah, I don’t think it was any one thing on the play. Ethan is a good kid and really good teammate, so I’m not gonna beat him up over it either. Lotta other shit went wrong too on the night to really single him out as the reason they lost. More it was just an observation by me.

They work on this stuff all the time in practice. They talk about it. Watch video. At some point it’s simply down to the kids to execute.

19. Ssmiff

I just read that from Vitello. And im glad he can say “we are coaching them on it and practice it plenty” without the pushback Barnes would get for similar. Been saying it for awhile with many sports. These players are adults and been playing a long time. They are coached. It’s up to them. Goes for football, basketball, baseball, etc.

20. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Sometimes a players just got to play. Sometimes you think they learned it properly and trust them to execute.

Sometimes an athlete is gonna have a brain fart in the heat of action. And they will admit, "Coach, I don't know what I was thinking. I know better." It's the ones that make excuses that you worry about.