22-23 season

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by KyleAlexanderfan, Sep 15, 2022.

1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

He looks good on paper, but I’m a little concerned about the step up in level of competition. I mean Key was a D1 scorer and just couldn’t make it happen in the SEC. Feel like we have more examples of failure to make that step than of success. But we’ve had mostly rotten luck with transfers in general.

SetVol13 likes this.
  2. dknash

dknash Chieftain

My Knecht, Mashack
    Vescovi and Sulack

(who apparently is in the portal but whatever)

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

just frustrated with what I saw this year. HS coaches and trainers did him a disservice, letting him get away with being a long lanky athlete instead of perfecting basics like ballhandling, pump fake and get to line, and various finishes. His flailing near the rim got on my nerves.

4. Ssmiff

difference I see at first glance is this kid is 6’6, can take a hard dribble and dunk over somebody off one foot and has a much better release. Key was just slow.

IP likes this.
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya key didn't have that extra super human gear you see in high D1

6. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

Knecht is for sure a much better athlete than Key. There’s a highlight of one of his dunks going around he gets up and looks explosive. He will probably be one of the best athlete on the floor amongst the starters: ZZ/Vescovi/Ledlum/Aidoo.

7. KyleAlexanderfan

Here was the clip.

8. KyleAlexanderfan

Tar Volon likes this.
  9. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

10. Ssmiff

Next year a little more exciting now. Zz, Dillione, Knecht, Ledium, Santi, Mashack, Aidoo, Tobe, Estrella. Like the pieces. Added a weapon at 1-3 and another scorer at 3 or 4. If Dillione can shoot, a Zz, Santi, Dillione, Kneckt, Mashack lineup could be interesting. 5 who can drive and threat to shoot. Lediums release looks better than expected from 3.

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I really really hope Barnes is willing to trade a drop defensively if the guy can light it up. ZZ, Santi, Knecht, and Gaines theoretically can be deadly.

KyleAlexanderfan likes this.
  12. Ssmiff

Appears Ky is getting Dickinson big man from Michigan.
    Nyet. Kansas. Ky thought they had him.

Last edited: May 5, 2023
  13. Ssmiff

BJ Edwards out. Team is set. I didn’t understand he and Tamba anyway. Dominating Knoxville hs hoops doesn’t mean too much.

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I think Edwards has a solid player in there but not an all-conference type. Idk. Wish him the best. People going to make a bigger deal over it than it deserves because he’s a local kid

IP likes this.
  15. Ssmiff

Looked stiff

16. KyleAlexanderfan

Would've liked to keep him another year and see how it played out. Surely they didn't just take Gainey straight up for him rather than having him walkon unless they felt he would never work out.

17. Ssmiff

gainey is better. BJ was not going to be able to defend. His lateral quickness isn’t there. It didn’t need to be on a loaded HS team where often his teammate was the only other taller player in the court. Blue Cain was on that team too.

18. KyleAlexanderfan

BJ could at least slide over and play the 1. Gainey will play 2/3. If you can have him for emergency situations and Gainey as a walk-on I don't see any reason not to go that route. He may not want to be here in that situation though.

19. Ssmiff

I’m just saying we don’t want BJ guarding the 1 for very long. He’s actually more of a 2 from his speed and ballhandling limitations.

20. Ssmiff

Dillione, ZZ, Mashack and Santi can manage the pg roll until we know zz is back full. With the transfers and returners, we will be able to attack the rim and shoot the 3 with several ball handlers 1-4. Offense will look better when we have more players able to take their man and easier 3s on kick outs vs having to run santi off 4 picks to get him a shot.