22-23 season

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by KyleAlexanderfan, Sep 15, 2022.

1. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Sloppy af on offense so far

2. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Why do we have dueling 22-23 season basketball threads?

VOLinDAWGland likes this.
  3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Who do we have to break down defenses and get a bucket when we can't hit outside shots? Phillips?

4. Unimane

We have no interior offense. None.

5. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Just embrace it

6. Unimane

Shooting 21 threes out of 29 shots against an inferior opponent like Tech is not solid strategy. Our inside guys do not give me any confidence.

7. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

8. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

But I don’t wanna

9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Why did they get the ball when they got it due to the shot clock issue in the first half?

10. Unimane

Ziegler has the same number of rebounds as do Nkamhoua and Plavsic combined.

11. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

Remember when Plavsic went 6/6 against Gonzaga.

12. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Tyreke Key has no regard for human life

13. dknash

dknash Chieftain

The shot clock was set to 20 when they got the ball back after Zeigler almost stole it. They ruled Zeigler had full possession, which should have been 30 seconds. I kind of think it should have just not reset at all, so probably less than 20.

14. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Yeah but I thought they said the refs used the possession arrow to determine possession.
    I didn’t think they could go back and act like the shot and rebound didn’t happen and give a do over

15. dknash

dknash Chieftain

I think they said that and then said the possession thing and didn't really clarify. It did still end up being a shot clock violation. But it was weird.

16. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Very concerning. Will bite this team squarely in the ass on more than a few occasions.

I

17. Unimane

Ragged game, which is to be expected for an opener. Some things I liked, others have me concerned.

- Key is a scorer, a nice steady addition. Not the most athletic dude, an old man's body, but just a basketball player.
    - Ziegler is starter for three years and will be a very good SEC player who can shoot, run the team and make things happen. I see signs he has cut down on the sloppy turnovers with his maturity.
    - Vescovi solid, as usual.
    - Mashack with some offense! If he can chip in 5-7 points per game and make defenses play him honest, his defensive contributions will be even more effective as he'll see the floor more.
    - Depth is very good, a lot of potential contributors.
    - Phillips will be a really good player by the SEC season as he gets more acclimated.

Concerns

- No inside presence. None. Plavsic and Nkamhoua had the same number of boards as 5-9 Ziegler. Plavsic is just not very good and Nkamhoua still plays reactionary and soft. They are who they are, but tonight was atrocious from them. They have to be much better or we'll do nothing this year.
    - Too many threes. I get we'll shoot a lot of them, but 44 against TN Tech with only 19 shots inside the arc is really bad. If we are going to be this kind of team, I can't see us making the second weekend of the NCAA tournament. We have to have more balance.
    - No dunks tonight, which isn't in and of itself a big deal, but the lack of explosive athleticism is notable, outside of Phillips. And, outside of Ziegler, we remain susceptible to quick guards taking us off the dribble.

All in all, this seems like a good team. I'm not as overwhelmed as I thought I might be from the reports from the scrimmages. However, there will no doubt be improvement and development from Barnes, as there usually is. My main concern is the interior. They are my one real issue I'm worried can't be adequately fixed, based on the personnel. The rest, I think, we can come around on fine.

GahLee likes this.
  18. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Just some quick thoughts.

Key looks like our best player. Phillips has ZZ type energy. We may attempt the fewest 2 point shots since the advent of the shot clock. Defense could be elite.

This team is gonna make us pull our hair out all season long.

19. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I was trying to post in the other 22-23 thread and it spit me into this shithole of a thread

dknash likes this.
  20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Anyway, Aidoo is the answer to everyone's concerns. Just wait. And Awaka may challenge for some minutes too.