#23 Tennessee vs. #13 Northwestern

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by MaconVol, Dec 6, 2015.

1. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I was watching the SEC Network last night to see what the bowl match ups were and Greg McElroy said Tennessee was going to be in the championship picture next year. I'm starting to think the hype experienced last off season is going to be nothing compared to this year's should they wax Northwestern.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'll be honest. I'll be giddy myself. More hope and excitement than anything.

3. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Me too. Every analyst on ESPN was saying next year is Tennessee's year. Not maybe or so so but that we are primed to win. NO MORE EXCUSES.

4. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

It is exciting. Like I said before, progress is clearly being made. The wildcard that is Butch keeps me from being overly optimistic but it's nice to be in those kinds of conversations for sure.

5. cpninja

cpninja Member

Year 4 is do or die. Even the sheep will start to open their eyes if we go 8-4 or worse. I just fear we go 9-3...then 10-2, THEN we start sliding back but by that point Butch will be locked up through 2045 and be making 6.5m/yr and we're stuck with our wonderful band director until the heat death of the universe.

6. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

We play 4 teams replacing coaches, 3 within our division and unless McElwain performs a miracle in the off-season with Harris, we will be playing an inept offense that's losing quite a bit of that stout defense. We probably return as many, if not more starters than any team on the SEC, there is zero reason why can't win 10+ games, end the streak against Florida and represent the East in Atlanta. Zero. Anything less than that will be a failure.

Our toughest stretch comes with Florida, @Georgia, @A&M and then Bama. Only 4 true road games. No excuses next year. None.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

That "tough stretch" looks very doable except for Bama.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Towles may transfer and play his final year at UF. He's far from good, but he's better than Treon. They may also start Franks, the QB recruit they stole from LSU.

I agree they should still steamroll the east, but McElwain may not have to work magic with Harris

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Alabama will be reeling next year. They won't be terrible, but they will be beatable.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

When did this place get so positive?

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

northwestern is garbage.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm just setting myself up for more disappointment.

Looking at it objectively, as Gahlee said, there's 3 new coaches and UF will be starting over at QB. UK and Vandy are UK and Vandy. There's really no excuses

13. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

SECC or bust

14. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

It takes 6-7 years to learn how to scheme against new coaches. You're all asking Butch to do the impossible.

15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Especially when so many schools keep changing their coaches, those bastards.

16. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Not just you, GL, but doesn't this all sound too familiar? Yes, three new and one first yr HC still ...

Thread needs to be stickied, imo, so we can revisit this time next yr

17. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Funny, I remember some (ESPN, Fox, among them) analysts sayin' '15 would be a down yr but someone forgot to tell Saban

18. knoxvol

knoxvol Contributor

Harumph!

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They're going to be replacing coordinators and assistants at a record clip.

20. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

True, yet he seems to reload w/o as much as a hiccup