30 years ago today

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by A-Smith, Nov 9, 2021.

1. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

"Floyd Miley can fly."

2. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

A coworker had given me 2 tickets to the Georgia Florida game so I took a buddy (big Georgia fan I owed a favor to…) of mine down to Jacksonville. As the game progressed and the scores were being announced, folks in the section we were sitting in looked at me like I had oranges falling out of my eye sockets… especially as I jumped up out of my seat and started screaming my lungs out at the final score announcement!

A-Smith likes this.
  3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I was listening on the radio in the car at the end when John Ward said the kick was GOOD, wait a minute, NO GOOD what a jerk

A-Smith and IP like this.
  4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I was crappie fishing with my dad listening to this. We were cleaning them the majority of the 4th quarter

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Was in my living room in south Knoxville watching with my girl friend (whom I would marry two years later) and my mother. When we blocked that field goal, my girl friend started beating on me and my mother starter pushing me around on the floor.

It was a good day.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Weird kink but okay

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I was in first grade.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Me too

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Then I was in second grade. I was a year ahead of you in school. Did we play them in 1990 too? I remember 1st grade ND drama

10. JohnnyQuickkick

Yeah Andy Kelly threw a pick in the end zone at the end

justingroves likes this.
  11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ah. We had a bama fan and a ND fan in my class both years.

When we played football on the black top, the chubby kid would want to be Johnny Majors deciding plays if he couldn't be all time QB because his name was Johnny as well I guess. He would also tell girls they could be cheerleaders, but the girls had no interest in participating at all. Very controlling kid.

12. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

i was a jr at UT. We rented a van, piled in and went up there. Once again, i can see brief images in my head, but it's scary to have an entire weekend like that and not remember much. Part of it from drinking a bit and part of it being a lifetime ago

RevBubbaFlavel and warhammer like this.
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Then we moved to Maynardville where the boys wanted to play "smear the queer", which seemed like an ironic activity even at my young age and limited awareness, as it meant picking on someone you claimed to be gay by chasing, tackling and laying on them...

14. JohnnyQuickkick

tbh I never connected it with homosexuality and I don’t think any of us did

10SEvols and utvol0427 like this.
  15. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

we played it differently. usually a big or fast kid got the ball and tried to Derek Henry everybody. I don't ever recall us playing it with anyone who didn't want to get the ball and run and there was never any picking on anybody who may have been gay. Had nothing to do with it really.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Agreed. And yet there it is, in name. Very odd, I wonder where it came from or started.

Same with "n word" knocking, which through me for a loop.

17. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Man, I hated that stupid game. One, I was fairly small and, second, it had no damn purpose. I was super competitive and playing a game with no score, no resolution drove me insane. And, there was always one dickhead who wanted to play it instead of regular football.

A-Smith, Tar Volon and IP like this.
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

The lack of resolution also made it completely pointless to me.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

I guess I don’t get the hand-wringing 30 years later over something like that that had no connotation of anything to us

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I am remembering it. Not hand-wringing. That it had no connotation makes it even weirder that... there it was.