40 Celebrities Who Are...

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by SavageOrangeJug, Dec 12, 2011.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I haven't sent a kid to the office in over 5 years from my classroom, and he came to class higher than a Georgia pine.

It's the stuff in the hallway that drives me nuts. It's a freaking zoo.

2. JayVols

I can't begin to tell you how rare that attitude is today. You're very fortunate.

3. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I'm not a fan of sending kids to the office. ISS does them no good, it's a mini vacation...chewing their asses out in the hallway loud enough so that all of their classmates can hear it has proven to be much more effective in my book.

4. JayVols

I'm good for at least 1 fake blow-up/semester. It's effective.

5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I don't have to fake it...some of the kids here are disrespectful enough to make me lose it at least once a month. I would have, deservedly, been beaten had I acted like some of these kids.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

We should get an education thread going. I deal with mostly college freshmen, and I see a similar trend in my short 5 years in an instructor's role.

7. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

I work in a pharmacy. I deal with ignorant people every day.

I'd still rather do that than manage kids.

Hats off, Jay and lyls.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Special Ed is what kills my school. They run the damn thing, and there is nothing that you can to them at all.

9. JayVols

I know what you mean. My best advice is to get the hell out before you get too invested like me. Go somewhere you can make some money.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  10. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I had several teachers that did in school, most didn't try to hide it.

Of course 75% of the student body had snuff or cigs on em at all times.

11. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Well I know now who to send Christmas Cards to now and who not to!

12. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Jay doesn't like cards and Lyle can't read.

13. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

Jay I have been very frustrated of late with teaching. I generally don't have any discipline problems until the last couple weeks. It really pisses me off when kids clearly have no respect for finals. I could relax and just let things go but I cannot do a job without caring. I generally try to regulate by sending kids to APs and calling parents if the ones who are blowing off last couple weeks. It gets worse and worse every year. I had one hand me his bubble sheet before he got his actual test last week. I almost lost my job right there. I have made the decision to go into leadership. My end goal is to become a principal at a charter school. There is little reward for being a good teacher. I refuse to become a bad one but in the end the system almost makes you become apathetic. As a AP or principal at least I can stay positive without the constant wear in the classroom. School cannot be an entitlement we have to be able to send kids to the curb. It sounds terrible to some but the pragmatic realities of kids today leave us no choice. Parents are giving very little support overall. Charters have proven that if well run (and that is an if) kids will act right knowing they can be ejected for behavior. Kids at my school have little fear of alternative schools or suspension it is meaningless as a consequence. My kids are not going to 4 year schools they could give a flying [uck fay] if it is on their record.

I have had the highest test scores in the math department every year I have taught but does it really matter when your kids are testing at 50% and the rest are at 40%. I mean it is like going 5-7 when others are going 4-8.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I legitimately feel for teachers who want to make a difference but can't. My dad was a teacher/administrator for 30+ years. It was starting to catch up to him by the end as well.

I initially said I would send my kid(s) to public schools, and I do live in a great school district. But, I must admit that the idea of going to a private school becomes more and more appealing by the day.

15. When I was in school we had a smoking area.

16. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Jewy, I thought you were a lawyer...

17. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

I have been teaching for 5 years. I hated the practice of law. I was happy at first to become a teacher. It is a much more rewarding profession. The pay is ok with my law degree but not good. The problem is no one is willing to do what it takes to make our schools successful. It has left public education with one viable option..charter schools. It should not be necessary but it is until some drastic changes are made to our laws and practices in public education. I am taking leadership test in about two weeks. I will be applying with in my county and anywhere to get a position as an AP or principal in training at a charter school. I may teach one more year 2012-2013. I could go no further without becoming the type of teacher I can't stand.

18. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I've taught SP ED for 31 years. I have taught every level of SPED kid you can possibly have except gifted. The kids I have now, severely emotionally disturbed with behavior disorders. These kids may spend a half a year in jail or a mental hospital. We used to have separate schools for these kids but now they are mostly placed in the regular classroom. I had to be out of school for 3 days, Dec. 5-8, for my youngest sons shoulder surgery. He tore his anterior labrum and rotator cuff. While I was out, one of my students got a hold of a pair of scissors and threatened to stab everyone in the room. When the VP got there he picked up a globe and tried to hit him with it. He will not be coming back in the classroom, he has be placed elsewhere. Thats not a typical day, but most days are like that!

19. JayVols

Jewie, I know how you feel. Charters may make difference for some kids, but in the end, they will just create hell hole schools, imo. I think we need to quit trying to act like every kid should go to college. We need to go to the Japan model. Intense academic studies for college bound, and more skilled labor focused curriculum. Those studies would focus on the skills needed for that profession, and would be heavy on modestly paid apprenticeships. We test all of our students while most of the civilized world only test their upper crust. That would also solve the majority of behavior issues.

20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

So what do we the segment of students who have no desire to go to school at all and cause the vast majority of the problems?