5 year olds and Soccer

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Beechervol, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I coached girls basketball my first two years of coaching. Let me make this disclaimer, I never played basketball, I don't really care that much for basketball, and I got stuck with it being the new coach. We did meet my goals for the year, getting the ball past half-court and scoring. I will NEVER coach girls again. If you yell slightly at them they cried, then that opens another ball of wax, not to mention dealing with one on their period and the mood swing that brings! It was horrible. Jay I know you coach girls, my hats off to you!

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I was just using throwing a punch in a football game because it gets you kicked out.

3. JayVols

OV, our girls can take a butt chewing quite well. We don't cut them any slack because they are girls. We don't put up with their drama either. They learn to take it somewhere else. The result is that the 25 girls that play for us are mentally tough and don't crawl in a shell when adversity hits. The girls listen and give more effort than any guys team I have coached. I thought I would hate coaching girls, but I was pleasantly surprised to tge point that I would rather coach girls than boys.

4. Oldvol75

This was the early 80's. I will admit they have gotten tougher. But back then they were not!

5. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Its actually worse. The team of the player that gets a red card has to play a man down the rest of the game which can be huge in soccer. I only got one in my entire career but it thankfully did not cost my team the game.

6. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I have coached both girls and boys basketball. Girls are easier to coach IMO. The group I coach listened and took criticism when it was due. It took a while to get the boys to understand they were not the coach.

Id coach girls again before boys.

7. JayVols

I was unaware of this. I know very little about soccer. Really don't want to know. I'm a 40 year old fat cripple. It holds little appeal to me. :)

8. JayVols

My experience is that most girls are more eager to please their coaches than boys. You can alao tell them to go work on something by themselves and they will do it. Boys you have to lord over them for them to do what you want.

Conversely, a mean unruly girl is 1,000 times worse than a mean unruly boy.

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Kid that I talked about getting kicked in the knee and crying yesterday, missed practice today because of it. I can't stand a puss.

I might play with 10 on monday to just make a point.

10. JayVols

Spring parctice already?

11. Oldvol75

Now with todays kids, you can't hurt their little feelings! You could damage them for life according to some! They've probably never heard the term, Rub some dirt on it!

When my youngest son played in his first Jr.High game as a 7th grader, There was 5 seconds left in the game and the team we were playing called TO. At the end of the 5 seconds, there was one body left lying on their back, my son. I wasn't coaching the Jr. High so I went out there. Asked him what was wrong, he said his both his wrist hurt. I told him to move them, which he did. Then made him get up and carry his helmet off the field. Mom took him home and I came later. When I got home he was sitting at the table with both arms in the air. I gave him the speech about if he would have stayed low, this wouldn't have happened. Mom wanted to take him to the emergency room, I tried to talk her out of it, but lost that battle. To make a long story short, after the Dr. left the room and showing us the X-rays, he had 2 broken wrists. The first words my wife said to me was,"How do you like your little speech now?" I was never so glad when those words stopped coming from the bathroom,"Daddy I'm finished!"

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

No, I got stuck coaching soccer. The season for us starts Monday.

On a side note, we might be the only soccer team in the country that does monkey rolls for a warm up.

13. JayVols

Lol. I couldn't do that soccer deal.

14. Oldvol75

[​IMG]

Have your players do this!

15. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

New coach has his first test tonight.

He has called for a meet and greet at the soccer field/pasture today at 5.

The test is whether or not he calls it off.