72%(!): Media Intentionally Reports Fake News

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Wowza. Despite most polls being Fake News, I prefer this one, and choose to believe it’s accurate.

Agreeing Demographics:
    Total: 72%
    Republicans: 92%
    Independents: 79%
    Democrats: 53%

“...news sources report news they know to be fake, false or purposefully misleading.”

Read that again: purposefully.

Half of Democrats. 1/2.

On average, 85.5% of Republicans and Independents.

I didn’t think any issue could possibly enjoy such widespread support across all groups, save Congress’ abysmal approval ratings.

But here we are.

I wish they’d take a poll to weigh he oft-lofted silliness that Trump’s hammering Fake News was either a crazy notion that only he held, or that it was somehow going to hurt him.

Link: https://www.axios.com/trump-effect-...ews-9c1bbf70-0054-41dd-b506-0869bb10f08c.html[/I]

2. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I mean, is Fox lumped in there? Because yeah

3. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

It's also telling that a significantly higher perfectage of Democrats claim to actually vet their news in some form or fashion.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yeah. They do tend to lie more.

5. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I mean, the President of the United States, in official capacity, States his opposite party is for unlimited crime and open borders.

Doesn’t get much more fake than Trump.

6. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I weighted for lying sacks of shit

7. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Every wannabe autocrat looks to discredit the media first. The Cult of Trump broaches no criticism of him, branding anything as such as "fake news". So, Trump has certainly been effective among his own for selling them something most in that group have believed for decades. The hold he has on that group has reached the point where he can, with all seriousness, state that the opposition party is for, not just responsible, but actually in favor of, "unlimited crime" and they'll nod their head in approval.

So, I'm taking their perception of truth very heavy grain of salt.

8. Tenacious D

Trump has united a majority of the GOP, Dems and Independents with the belief that the media purposefully reports fake news to achieve their own agenda.

Not bad for such a complete buffoon.

I’ll take your giving him credit, however it arrives, Un (and even if wrong, as you are here).

9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I think Trump is a moron that should have both tweeting thumbs removed but the overarching tendency of mass media to use hyperbole to mislead or flat out lie is a problem. There are very few trustworthy news sources now.

A-Smith likes this.
  10. Tenacious D

No, it’s only Trump who disbelieves the motives of the MSM.

This is the only poll in history that Un doesn’t like a believe is true.

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Probably everyone but Reuters and AP. They don't add opinion to their stories from what little I've seen since I rarely go searching for their articles.

12. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I'm sure Reuters and the AP have reported on something negative about Trump that made Tenny think they were fake too. You should probably read more Breitbart

13. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Why you lumping me in with Trump Supporters?

14. Tenacious D

Yes, yes, yes - I’m known to disregard the credibility of any media outlet who reports anything negative about Trump.

I’m also well-known to subscribe to Breitbart.

You don’t need to make me a straw man, we can simply disagree.

15. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Oh, I'm sorry, those times you immediately dismissed WaPo articles as fake news and posted Breitbart crap must have just been a part of your grand performance

16. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

And so we are clear, I at least read the Breitbart articles before dismissing them as Grade A bullshit

17. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I don’t. It’s Breitbart.

emainvol likes this.
  18. Tenacious D

I don’t believe that everything from any source is 100% trustworthy, with some - such as WaPo - being less trustworthy than others.

I’ve routinely extolled NPR’s reporting, left-leaning and liberal darlings as they are, as at least trying to get it right.

I also don’t dismiss (almost) everything that any particular media source reports. The National Enquirer won a Pulitzer for breaking the John Edwards scandal (remember when merely having an affair was scandalous? Good times.) for heavens sake.

Only a fool would do either.

The OP links to an Axios article, which is itself a left-leaning site.

But these things aside - what, exactly, is your point?

Do you propose that the poll is inaccurate?

That the poll is accurate, but the opinions are errant, and that the MSM actually is trustworthy?

That a majority of Americans distrust in it was brought about by Trump? Or Breitbart? Or perhaps both?

Or is it that you can’t find fault in either the accuracy of the poll or the underlying opinion, and instead just don’t like it - so Breitbart becomes your singular point of contention?

19. Unimane

Very Trumpian to say something so blatantly false or misleading.

20. Unimane

He united them? You serious? Yes, prior to Trump, Republicans completely trusted the MSM. The one thing he's done so well is tap into that predilection by the right to distrust the media and get them to ignore anything remotely negative to him as "fake".

Otherwise, giving Trump credit for "uniting" Dems behind the idea that right wing news is phony, dishonest and shills for him is about as accurate as his tweet last night taking credit for Crowley losing his primary for not being nice to Trump.

So, no, Trump hasn't created any new narratives (And, I'm not remotely wrong), just exploited them like a true demagogue and hopeful autocrat. You cheer him as you excuse his incessant lying (The irony, given your critique of the media here), but what he's trying to do is very, very dangerous.

Of course, the original point you make is the media criticism hasn't hurt, which I disagree it hasn't. He's shored up a base, who would like him anyway, but he's hovering at a solidly negative rating for almost all of his presidency, despite the good economy he was bequeathed by his predecessor. Most view his attacks on the media and tweets as reckless and childish, if not inherently dangerous.