A Teacher's Thread......

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Oldvol75, Dec 27, 2011.

1. This is the problem with our system. He belongs in a maximum security juvenile prison, not the school system. How many chances does he get at killing his sister before they lock him away?

You're big enough to rip this punk's head off, and throw it at his ass. It is the other students are in danger.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I'm good. I deal with one twice a week that is crazy and threating to kill his classroom teacher and classmates. I've stopped that stuff in my class with him though.

3. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

He will have a zero tolerance in my class. I had to sit down and talk to my students today about whatever happens that I will handle it. I have the authority through the IEP to take these kids down and restrain them if they are going to be a danger to themselves or other students. And believe me, all he has to do is make any type of move toward one of them and I will take him down.

4. I have no doubts that you will put him down if need be.

Seriously, why is this psycho kid not locked down? Surely the near fatal choking attacks and sexual assault on his sister are enough.

5. Oldvol75

I don't know. We had the meeting Wednesday. They went over the Psych report but left all of that out. I was given a copy of it after the meeting and took it home. I read it when I got home and my jaw hit the floor. I went Thursday to the principal, since he was also at the meeting, and showed him what was skimmed over. He had a fit. He was supposed to have a meeting today with the super and SPED coord.,which had to go out of town. He wants a news IEP meeting to be held and have him placed elsewhere. But until then, I get him in my class.

6. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Good luck oldvol. I dealt with similar kids early in my career, but not as bad as this sounds. The damn system is pitiful to allow kids like this in schools. It is going to take the 'normal' kids' parents raising immortal hell before politicians will pass education laws that make sense. They sure won't listen to us teachers. If the parents that I mentioned had half an inclination of the protections these social deviant kids enjoyed under the law there would be politicians hanged in the public squares. I bet they don't know that it is almost impossible to discipline a kid with a labeled 'disability' no matter how minor of a disibilty. Get caught with drugs? We can't zero tolerance those kids like a 'normal' student. We must still provide them an education. If you kid gets caught for the same thing? Out for 1 calendar year. Period. SpEd kid brings a gun to school. 45 days is the max time they can get without getting educational services. Only a judge can change that. Your kid? Gone.

I don't know if anyone remembers the young kid that shot his grandfather 30 something times and then waited to ambush his step-grandmother slashing her throat with a knife and then stabbing her over 100 times a couple of years ago in NETN. He stole the car and was on the run for a couple of days until he tried to return home and officers nabbed him. He assaulted a guard at a juvie facility that a judge placed him in until his trial (as an adult). He later hanged himself. This kid attended my school. He had threatened to kill by stabbing a bunch of students and was caught with a huge hunting knife at school. He was in the process of being placed in our county's alternative school for 45 days when the murders happened. If your kid had made the threats much less got caught with that 'machete'- gone. No questions asked. Yeah, we've got utopic cushy jobs.

All the system is doing now is teaching these kids that the rules don't apply to them. It is setting them up for failure outside of school. There are no IEP's in life to hide behind.....

Edit: oh yeah, we had to send a home school teacher to the jail to provide this murderer with an education before his hearings that placed him in lockdown. Wonderful use of taxpayer money isn't it. I couldn't make this shit up if I tried.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  7. Oldvol75

Its sad Jay. If people only knew. I know I wouldn't want my kid going to class with this kid.

8. I went to school with a kid just like the one you're getting. Jimmy Don Spangler, I knew him well. There were no special classes for kids like him.

When he was 15 he tortured and killed an elderly woman that hired him to do yard work for her. He burned her with cigarettes, and then beat her to death. He was on a pass from Taft Youth Center when he murdered her. The court had already declared him a delinquent. He has been in prison ever since, and thankfully will never be released.

His brother was sent to prison for a short while a few years after him for some minor felonies. He nearly killed his brother at the prison.

FindACaseā„¢ | 04/02/87 JIMMY DON SPANGLER v. STATE TENNESSEE

9. JayVols

10. Oldvol75

11. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

Gwinnett has solved the problem by offering home base or alternative school. It cost money but at least keeps them out of school.

12. JayVols

Kid committed suicide a few months after this. I won't tell you what the cold hearted side of me thinks about that. It's a shame what schools have to deal with. I think we do a hell of a job considering. The actual educating students would be a breeze if we didn't have to be parents, psychologists, counselors, parole officers, etc.

13. Oldvol75

I know working with the kids that I have for all these years, I don't think I could work with "the regular kids". Atleast going in, I know these kids have got problems. People that I've worked with have always asked me how I can deal with this all the time. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Even thou they can be a lot of trouble, on those rare occasions when you do reach one of them, all that other stuff just fades to memory. Now I might change my opinion after I get this kid next week! LOL

14. JayVols

I went back to school to get my history degree to get out of SpEd. Burned out fairly quickly.

Stay strong brother.

15. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I have enjoyed reading this conversation. I am currently attending Tennessee Tech to finish up my Secondary Edu- History degree. I just graduated from Vol State Comm College. Any feedback on what I can expect the most while teaching will be greatly appreciated.

16. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Luckily, I now teach at a magnet school, but I've done my share of teaching at the inner city level and even worked at a juvenile facility for a year and a half. The facility was the lowest level, but, holy shit, some of those kids. Crazy stuff. One kid was caught with a used tampon he stole from his aunt and kept it under his bed for sexual gratification. One kid was raised by wiccans who fed him heroin from a young age and he had to have these special suppositories in order for his digestive system to function. When I was working at the school, a girl took a box cutter knife and slice a girl's bridge between the eyes (girls almost always fight over some piece of shit boy - I never understand it). Oh, I also had an altercation in the middle of my geography class when a girl told a pregnant girl "I hope your baby dies." Chaos ensued.

Now, I have much better, though talkative and exceptionally whiny ass, kids. A pretty decent gig as far as limiting craziness, but the kids rarely give a shit about Ancient Rome or the Mongols.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  17. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Got the utmost respect for teachers. My mother was an educator for 43 years just retiring this last year. Worked her way up from a kindergarten teacher and retired as a director of schools. I've seen how hard it is at every level. Nothing but respect from me.

18. JayVols

Your comments are appreciated more than I can express. Heartfelt thanks, bro.

19. Oldvol75

Thanks!

20. Oldvol75

You find one thing that seems to be a constant. Group of students seem to come in cycles. You will have some really good groups (lets just say of 6th graders for arguments sake) as a whole. Then you'll get an entire class of them that are pretty much all rotten. You will have certain kids that will at first, absolutely drive you nuts that will turn out to be your favorite!