Advising President-Elect Trump

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Nov 14, 2016.

1. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I like this analogy, given that in our solar system the sun is the local center of gravity.

2. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

It actually provided a great opportunity for Trump/Pence to assuage some of the expressed concerns, which were quite respectful by the way. But no, he's apparently incapable of such. He was actually still tweeting about it this evening but thankfully someone around him with some sense got it deleted.

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

You have a point. It probably would if reversed in all honesty.

But then again, the Electoral College was a disaster until the night of the election. Hypocrisy has no owner.

And I'll say that given Pence's history, those concerns voiced were completely valid.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Obama was heckled by a member of Congress during the State of the Union address. Spare me the "unprecedented" shit.

5. JayVols

"You lie!"

Forgot about that one.

6. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Good point. I admittedly have the worst memory of anyone I know. Still, that guy got clobbered by the media for days. Hamilton cast has been getting mostly props for their courageous patriotism.

7. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

So I actually thought the call out seemed over the top and out of place. It wasn't disrespectful in words but the notion of doing it felt disrespectful.

With that said, the dude who yelled in the SOTU should have been hammered much harder than Hamilton. Sitting prez vs VP-elect. SOTU vs a play.

8. JayVols

There's a marked difference in tone in the 2 exchanges. I know we're all going to see it through different colored glasses, but the Hamilton guy was pretty decent in voicing concerns. The guy yelling "You lie" during the State of the Union address didn't. Plus, one is a performer after a Broadway show where the public attends at their own whim. Not shocking one would do that. The other is an elected official at an official govt function that is a requisit event per the Constitution.

9. gcbvol

True, but let's make clear VP-elect Pence was nowhere close to being heckled. The situations are hardly comparable in terms of venom. The Hamilton cast was very respectful and asked the audience to stop booing. Pence has apparently stated today he didn't find the incident offensive at all. Good on him.

So there is precedent, but let's not make the mistake of comparing the situations. One was clearly disrespectful, the other not so much.

10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

It's not that the Hamilton cast got a lesser reaction than the congressman from the press, they have received the OPPOSITE reaction.

11. JayVols

I find trying to push one's own moral values and religious views including the denial of the same privilages afforded to others via the force of law by someone to be one of the ultimate disrespectful things one can do.

But that's just me.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  12. JayVols

They're not comparable events, so I don't see what you're getting at.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Because they didn't shout "You lie!", they respectfully communicated a concern-- from a group with a large gay and minority constituency, to a political leader who has championed gay conversion therapy.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's a bad sign for you that I agree. I'm absolutely loony. Just way, way out there. Extreme. I also think telling someone that not only shouldn't they be gay, but that they're really NOT gay is incredibly disrespectful and arrogant. It's like if I insisted Pence is really gay, and should go to gay conversion therapy-- which will work, if he really wants it to.

15. JayVols

Had they openly shouted vitriol and socially anti-conservative barbs at the VPEOTUS, I could see more of a comparison though still not equivalency.

In fact, as a Christian myself, I would say that the exhange by the actor in Hamilton was more Christ-like than the laws and positions championed by Pence.

And it isn't even close, imo.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  16. JayVols

Right, wrong or in-between, I'll stand on my own for what I feel is right. Not much into the group think thingy. I don't agree 100% on anything with anyone, but that's ok with me.

If that makes me loony, then hand me my straight jacket.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

We can all stand to be more Christ-like.

18. JayVols

Absolutely.

19. gcbvol

I thought the fact they were as incredibly respectful as they were was extremely impressive considering the history. It was nowhere close to an attack.

Absolutely. I thought their behavior was admirable.

20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I don't care enough to argue anymore for these jokers that I don't particularly care for (especially Trump.) I'll just say that both outbursts were bad for the country. There is a time to try to shame power, admittedly. But the problem in this country is too much shouting and shrillness, not too much speech.