After thinking about it for a few days.....

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Jan 31, 2021.

1. IMISSTHEBOWLBROS

IMISSTHEBOWLBROS Contributor

I have a question for everyone, Fulmer bleeds orange, but he went quietly with no fight or anything, why??

2. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

I follow them a lot...by force. Nebraska lost its traditional rivalries and joined a conference with no passionate rivals. Then they abandoned the formula and the game changed. We have an advantage over them. We can recruit talent no matter what people say. But Nebraska has to build 90% of it. Frost is a Husker but they are losing heart there quickly. Nebraska MUST develop their talent where as UT can recruit it more easily.

I think we once again missed a chance to hire the right guy. But I do think Heupel is the best of the post Kiffin era. Just not sure if that’s enough or if he will play it right. But I give him 1 season just like the last 3. Then I will know. Let me be clear. I will know after 1 season but that doesn’t mean we are 2-10 or 10-2. We will just know

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Because he is still getting paid and that is the key.

4. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

No, he doesn't.

5. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

And steroids. Nebraska isn't allowed to openly use steroids on their farm boys anymore.

Plus, wasn't there some rule about instate recruiting not counting against numbers back in the day? I feel like I've heard that argument against their return before. Something along the lines of they'd pretty much automatically get all in-state guys, and focus actual recruiting efforts on the top-tier out-of-state guys. Then they'd juice the [uck fay] out of their in-state guys so that by the time they were upperclassmen at least a two-deep worth of them were ready to go, while the blue chips already had a few years of experience to go along with that.

6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Not even close. Fulmer bleeds Fulmer.

Daddy Gee and NorrisAlan like this.
  7. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I don't recall specifically, but I remember reading somewhere about there being a state scholarship program for each high school to U of N that usually went to the best athlete but didn't count against scholarship numbers by the NCAA's reckoning. This may be bad info or was a thing before scholarship limits, but that's what I remember.

InVolNerable, IP and NorrisAlan like this.
  8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

He may have at one time, but now he bleeds Fulmer.

9. NorrisAlan

Nebraska had a law that allowed each county to have a scholarship generated by the county that allowed a player to go to Nebraska, full ride. Because the scholarship was from outside the school, the kid was technically a walkon, and wouldn't count against the cap. Steroid the [uck fay] out of him, and that is how every year their starting Oline looked like "SR SR SR SR SR".

If my memory serves me right.

10. NorrisAlan

damn, I have to read the whole thread before replying. Both of my last posts are just rehashes of someone else's glory.

warhammer likes this.
  11. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

To save face.

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

But, you put it so elegantly and decisively.

Your post was what I was trying to remember.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

This was it, @InVolNerable . They would give "academic" scholarships to the top in-state athletes so it didn't count towards the athletic scholarship totals. Obviously they didn't do this for every single in-state player, but they did it enough that they were getting an advantage by there being no such thing as a walk-on in the typical "no financial aid" sense.

And honestly, I'm not sure I have a problem with it. More kids getting school paid for? Oh no!

InVolNerable likes this.
  14. IMISSTHEBOWLBROS

So who’s controlling AD and coach now??

Sent from Not in my Home State using the new old Atari

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I believe White is a new player with no hooks in him yet.

16. IMISSTHEBOWLBROS

So a free athletic department, finally can hire a real coach if this one Champion of Life’s it, or not??

Sent from Not in my Home State using the new old Atari

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

It really comes down to White. And if you listen to what he has said and how he has acted, for me personally I am not feeling very positive about what he's going to do. But I am wrong frequently, so who knows. Some people are really into lots of self-confidence as a marker for capability. I don't think there is any correlation.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Fulmer probably thinks he bleeds orange. Probably also thinks the university bleeds Fulmer.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

the university has been bled buckets of cash for Fulmer.

Daddy Gee and A-Smith like this.
  20. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

He has managed to get to buyouts from Tennessee. If that don’t scream school love I don’t know what does.