Ainge and Swain lay it all out there

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by lylsmorr, Oct 28, 2012.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

His reasoning behind that is that Gruden's NFL winning percentage is no big deal. Someone should call in and ask him how it compares to Bill Parcells, Tom Coughlin, Bill Belichick, and Bill Cowher. It's in the area of all of them. Further, ask him what the Raider records were five years prior and five years after Gruden compared go what they did while he was there. Dearstone is a knownothing. Take women's basketball out of the equation and his knowledge of sports today couldn't fill a thimble.

RoadTrip likes this.
  2. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Kenny Hawkins is even more funny in real life. If it weren't for him being a Reds fan, I'd have no issues with him at all. I'm fairly certain that Bill Meade is nothing more than a character, but he's been playing it so long that he's bought into it. He's not as dumb as he appears on the radio, he just knows he's the main attraction for the Tri Cities. I'm fully confident someone will take his place one day.

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Kenny on playing a celebrity golf tourney at Olde Farm, "It's for the kids....anything for the kids."

Intro to Kenny's segment, The Hawk's Nest:

[youtube]ILE12hEW5Ck[/youtube]

4. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

and that brings up the best part of Kenny's sweet gig. I don't think he's paid for a round of golf in 20 years. Not sure if Bill Meade gets that kind of star treatment. I was told there was one time that Kenny played for free and PJ (the WCYB guy) was just a couple people behind him in line and still had to pay. Not sure if there's any truth to that one or not though.

5. netnvol

netnvol Member

I couldn't get over how short Kenny is after I met him for the first time. He's one of the only people left on WJHL who doesn't make me want to change the channel. Most of the rest of the "talent" they have anymore makes me suspect Mike Hamilton is in charge of their HR.

6. LandoVolrissian

LandoVolrissian New Member

Ainge- "throw that checkbook at em"

Hahahah

7. JayVols

Did the 6:00 anchor gal have some work "did" or what? I recognized the voice, but not the face. I would have hit either version personally.

I also found the 2nd string weather guy deal interesting.

8. RoadTrip

RoadTrip New Member

Reds' fan, Reds', fan, Reds' fan. VFB simply does not like us Reds' fans! :D

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  9. JayVols

Kenny seems like a fun guy to hang around. PJ is the anchor for the local Fox news that is affiliated with WCYB. I can't watch channel 5 news. They have waaaay too much SW VA shit on there for me. Plus their sports guy, Jordan Conigliaro or whoever you pronounce it, is turrible. Absolutely turrible.

10. JayVols

An addendum to my last post:

I don't know about Casey Marler, Kenny's back-up guy. I do know that his Nebraska nasally accent is annoying as hell, "nnnnnnnkay". I was told that's why Don Helman was relegated to Saturday morning and Bobby Radar was brought in for the morning show. His horribly nasal Waschhhhaaaansin accent grated on listeners' nerves. I agree. Jerry T's accent on his 'Talking Horses with Jerry T' segment is equally annoying. I don't get why they still have that. The off-track betting facility in Weber City, VA is all but shut down from what I've heard. The only time I went was on Friday nights for the no limit hold 'em tourneys. They don't do that anymore.

11. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

I didn't mind Don Hellman's accent and thought he was a good sports personality myself. He's an overall nice guy and has a good knowledge base on all sports. I like Casey to still come on there every once in awhile and stir the pot a little as that's his shtick. Bobby has a good knowledge of sports as well though and I'm a little Bobby biased as I've known him for years and worked with him for many years at Radio Greeneville before he left to go to Citadel or whatever it's called now. It will be interesting in January when they quit doing ESPN Radio during the day and start that CBS Sports programming. I can't stand Cowherd and refuse to listen to him anymore.

12. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

when I left the Tri Cities, PJ was still doing both, WCYB's sports and the whole kit and caboodle for the Fox stuff. Didn't know it had changed. I've heard a lot of complaints about Kasey, but I liked him. He was hilarious.

13. vol_in_ar

vol_in_ar Member

with the CBS programming, you'll get a healthy dose of Tim Brando

14. bhamvol

bhamvol New Member

Round Table is actually good

LT, D and B aren't UT fans, but do you really want someone blowing smoke up your can. Those guys are knowledgable and light hearted. If you have to listen to something in Bham, it ought to be them. I enjoy this one local show. For everything else, there is the TSR App and webpage. GBO

15. Vol2424

Vol2424 Contributor

No , I don't expect that from any radio station. I would just rather listen to TSR. I have the option , so why not? I will admit , if I had no other choice , that show is better than anything else on WJOX. I used to listen to D and B in the past. This was before LT joined the show. He used to be on another program with Ian Fitzsimmons , I believe. I wasn't a big fan of that show either. But like I said , D and B weren't nearly as bad as the others mentioned. Especially the Finebaum show.

16. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

To me, Rick and Bubba are like a sickeningly sweet drink. They can be tolerated in small doses, but I can't take listening to them for very long. My 30 minute commute is far too long. The sports show with speedy, Rick's brother, and another associate is hard to listen to. Speedy tries to sound like Rick, and it's just awkward. I've listened a couple of times. I wasn't really impressed.

17. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

This is the best show in the Birmingham market by a long shot. The main thing that keeps me from listening to them more is that, no matter how much they try to move off the dominant topic, it always comes back to how great bammer is and how bad Auburn is. I understand that that's what sells in b'ham and that callers drive it that way, but I'm just not that interested.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  18. Vol2424

Vol2424 Contributor

Exactly.

19. netnvol

netnvol Member

Sara Diamond decided to dye her hair a shade of blonde that makes her look completely washed out. I saw her out at a bar a few years ago and she is actually very pretty even without the TV tricks. Don't know why she would change that red hair though. Can't tell if she's had any plastic surgery or not. I think she's just getting older and it's starting to show a bit. I agree with you though, I'd still tear that ass up.

Yeah the gay-love-gone-wrong crossbow saga was hilarious to read in the morning papers. It was like some Lifetime movie on LSD.

20. netnvol

netnvol Member

Channel 5 does suck. I could give two shits what Nutsack High School in East Grundy, VA did Friday night. I don't think they have a single person worth anything. I saw that Preston Ayres guy at the courthouse a few times. He was a prissy little thing.