Airplane Talk

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by MWR, Nov 15, 2017.

1. MWR

MWR Contributor

I attended an Air Show at McGhee Tyson back in the 90's. They had a F-15 there. He was on the runway out of sight, kinda behind a little hill. But even if I couldn't see him from where I was, I could hear him. He fired that thing up and commenced to turn the throttle up. The whine and roar got almost unbearable, and about that time, he opened it up a little more. And about the time I suspected that the thing was going to fly apart from the strain, he added a little more fuel. He had everybody's attention.

After several minutes of this, he turned it loose and went down the runway like this, and went vertical, just like this. And he went up until he went out of sight. I liked that as much as the Thunderbirds team display.

2. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

I was stationed with an F18 Squadron in New Orleans for my last tour. The had a "Alert 30" F15 fighter group there and they flew a shitload because their readiness requirements were obviously higher than ours. Anyway, they would do this shit all the damn time and I would never get tired of seeing it.

But I believe that GIF is a FA18 C....I would never see FA18's do this

3. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

I'm fortunate enough to live a bicycle ride away from the airport that is home to the Southern wing of the CAF... I get to see the P-51D, the P-63 King Cobra, and the (currently) only flying example of an SBD Dauntless in the world. Several other really nice old warbirds there also (PT-17, AT-6 Texan among others) but they fly over my house very frequently.

4. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Looks like a MiG-29 to me. FA-18s can't do that. Their thrust/weight margins aren't anywhere good enough.

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Pretty sure that is an F-15 by the way the wings look. But I am not a military man nor a Jane's book junkie.

6. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I saw an F7F Tigercat when I was in Pensacola. That thing is the sexiest plane I've ever seen.

[​IMG]

Those are 2 F4U Corsair engines slapped onto that thing. Fuselage is barely wide enough for the pilot.

Savage Orange likes this.
  7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I'm an X-Wing guy myself

reVOLt likes this.
  8. MWR

MWR Contributor

You could be right. But the one I saw was a F-15. I'd guess that they had removed all unnecessary equipment to lower the weight of that aircraft, thereby making it capable of doing amazing things. I must have been impressed as I still remember if from over 20 years ago.

9. Savage Orange

That's an amazing aircraft. The airship here every year is incredible and the best part is Incan sit in my back yard and see the whole thing for free. A couple of years ago the Blue Angels came to town. If anyone reading this has never seen the Angels, do whatever you have to in order that you see these guys!!

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Growing up on Black Sheep Squadron, this will always be my favorite plane:

[​IMG]

reVOLt likes this.
  11. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

I saw the Blue Angels many years ago fly while visiting my brother who lived in Pensacola at the time. It was 4th of July and we were out on someone's party pontoon boat on the ocean. The fly overs were amazing.

12. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

I believe we must be of a similar age.

13. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

100% MiG 29

14. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

F4U Corsair is one of the 2 of my all time favorite fighter jets, the other being the F-4 Phantom. Guess it's the bent wings. Absolutely love those planes!

15. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I think me, Norris, boro and revolt were all in n Carrick or Reese at same time

16. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Gonna 1 up you.............I have flown in the 2 seater BA and also got to take a ride in Fat Albert. The FA was probably the coolest because they will simulate a combat landing where they basically nosedive to a landing. You are floating in the cabin like you are in space for about 15 seconds lol.....pretty good rush.

MWR likes this.
  17. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

No contest. That sounds like it was a blast.

Savage Orange likes this.
  18. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Were you navy/USMC?

I lost a 15 mile race where the winner got to ride shotgun in the BA... usually they only take Navy personnel with them.

19. Savage Orange

Thread needs renaming... Hangar talk....

20. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Navy and SAR. I didn't get to fly with them until they had an air show in Mayport FL where I was stationed, but when I was in SAR school in Pensacola, saw them all the damn time. We didn't have any USMC on Mayport, so not sure if it was just a Navy thing.