All-time UT Team

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Dec 19, 2011.

1. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Before Lewis got hurt, he was putting up numbers comparable to Herschel Walker. Pretty incredible to think about.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

For various reasons, I don't like Lewis.

Webb's injury just plays a part of it for me.

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I agree they were the two best but starting with Johnnie Jones and going through Travis Stephens, the Vols had such a collection of great running backs its dizzying. Jones, Cobb Webb, Garner, Stewart, Hayden, Graham, Bryson, Lewis, and Henry all made the league. Garner, Stewart, Bryson, Lewis and Henry made some good coin at that.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Don't forget that the guy succeeding Stephens ended up an NFL starter for a bit and may have stayed had he gotten his head on straight. Next up Riggs was average but then you have Foster and Hardesty. I guess Poole was long overdue.

5. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I think Billy Joel is an asshole. Doesn't mean he isn't one of the truly great musicians of the last 50 years. Here's the list of SEC backs better than Chuck Webb and Jamal Lewis: Herschel Walker and Bo Jackson.

6. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Parentheses inside the parentheses. I like your style GT.

7. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

Another big time D-Line player for us was Darwin Walker.

8. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I don't disagree with you at all. I'm putting Webb and Lewis on my team.

I do understand why people might put Stephens, Henry, Majors, Cafego, Feathers, or Lauricella on the team. They are using a standard different than "best player" to select the all-time guy.

9. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Lewis was a freak of nature.
    Webb had vision like no other and could cut on a dime.

10. CardinalVol

Yeah, but Billy Joel didn't use the cover of an injury so he could essentially quit in 99 either like Lewis did. That kills it for me.

11. CardinalVol

Raw ability, best RB to wear the orange.

The injury is the ONLY reason he's not on this list.

12. Beechervol

We witnessed greatness out of both, but never got the entire book.

13. CardinalVol

I will go to my grave saying we win a national title in 90 if he doesn't go down. Against Pacific of all teams. Pacific.

14. Beechervol

Yeah. That didn't make it easier to take at all.

15. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

Walt Harris again found a way to [uck fay] the tennessee offense.

16. No one touched him. I remember training my binoculars to the sideline, and watching the trainers work on him. I told my best friend, "this is bad, he is done." He was like, "nobody touched him..he's OK..just a sprain or a pulled muscle."

Pacific hasn't even fielded a team in years now.

That injury was the catalyst that got rid of that damned turf.

17. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

Johnny Majors Show 1990 Pacific Game - YouTube the Webb injury is at the 5:55 mark.

The player rolled up on Webb when tackling him from behind.

18. When he made the cutback, is when it hurt him. Not when he got tackled.

That injury was the catalyst for the turf leaving.

John Ward said that at a Big Orange Club meeting. I still have the 100% recycled plastic t-shirt he gave me for being his audience 'plant' that was to ask certain questions about the new grass surface. That shirt is one of my most prized Vol collectibles.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  19. hatvol96

Name me the number of backs to come back 100% from a torn ACL in a year.

20. hatvol96

Yeah, how dare Jamal Lewis not be superhuman enough to recover from a torn ACL in a year? It's not like the only two SEC titles Fulmer won were greatly achieved on his back. I think we should celebrate a piece of shit like Travis Henry, who never saw the field when Jamal was healthy, or some [uck fay]ing B lister like Jay Graham. That makes perfect sense.