POLITICS Alt-Right Culture

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I don’t know what to make of it, but I either laugh my ass off at it or just dismiss a great deal of it.

Some of it is spot on, and I think it needs to be said / shown / discussed / debated / considered, other parts are just bat shit crazy. But for the most part, it’s almost always somewhere in between the two, and admittedly, can be both deeply concerning and/or highly entertaining to me.

I also read some stuff and honestly wonder if it’s not just thinly veiled propaganda, but worse, which isn’t organically arising from the grass roots, but which is perhaps planted and motivated by outside others, and for reasons and aims that are intentionally difficult to discern.

The TNGOP Twitter account leaps to mind, as it’s been a very active source of widely cited material amongst the alt-right sites - but which I later read was alleged to be controlled by some foreign group / person(s). I don’t know if that’s true or not, but just the possibility that it may be true is cause for concern and investigation.

This thread is just to collect and discuss all things related to the “alt-right” movement - the good, bad, amusing, nefarious, sincere and innocent alike.

2. Tenacious D

I can’t believe that Alex Jones, the owner of InfoWars.com, exists, tbh. Meaning, I can’t believe that he’s as popular and his site is as widespread as it is, given how over-the-top crazy he can be. Most of the time, I struggle to believe that he’s sincere in his stated beliefs.

But, again, I also find it highly entertaining to watch him.

Particularly this video, where his craziest comments were sang in folk music style, in response to a contest that he / his site actually sponsored, and which challenged his viewers to do the best compilation highlight video of him. The group that put this together not only aren’t Alex Jones fans, but are instead Bernie Bros., and who perfectly and hilariously showed his personal brand of absurdity. Best, they actually won the contest, IIRC, and as was voted on by InfoWars members.

It’s really, really good:

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

We know the alt right has strings being pulled by foreign agents, as does BLM, bernie, stein, etc. It doesn't make them complicit or less genuine, but it is reality that these social media-derived groups are easily infiltrated.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Alex Jones and pepe the frog are just noise. Ben Shapiro is the legitimate alt right. But white supremacists and neo nazis are burrowed in too.

5. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

He’s actually admitted, in a court of law (child custody proceedings) that he’s just a bit, yet people cling to it anyway.

Tenacious D likes this.
  6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

People are stupid and the internet (namely Twitter) has made stupid people of various tribes able to gather in a way that was never possible before.

7. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

What’s the definition of “alt-right”?

White supremacy and racism is what hits my mind.

Ben Shapiro is considered alt-right?

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I would put ultra-nationalism and isolationism in there, too.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's how I saw him, but you got me thinking perhaps I don't know enough to say that. Is he considered mainstream?

10. CardinalVol

Hes right, but hes far from alt right.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I didn't think all at right people were necessarily white nationalist sorts, I thought some were just far right people who see the GOP as too PC and corporate.

12. CardinalVol

Much more of an old school conservative hard-liner that the alt right. Might have some similar beliefs (sans white natiionalists), but much more...............thought out.

13. Tenacious D

Agreed. He has considered positions / chops.

He calls it as he sees it, and the alt-right people give him shit for it on a routine basis.

14. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I have gone back and listened to some of his (Ben Shapiro) stuff since he appeared on Late Night with Bill Mahr. I might be mistaken but I think that he is the Rights equivalent of Cenk Uygur.

15. CardinalVol

Biggest overall gripe with Shapiro is sometimes he goes a bit too Clay Travis and makes it about Shapiro.

justingroves likes this.
  16. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

That’s and he talks way too damn fast.

17. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

That’s an insult

GahLee likes this.
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Mine is that he doesn't see his hypocrisy regarding identity politics/race, when discussing palestinians

NEW COACH likes this.
  19. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Don’t know if that’s the best comparison. Shapiro was writing a nationally syndicated column as a high schooler. Uygur just comes across as an ass most of the time. A successful ass, but an ass nonetheless.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

So same.

emainvol likes this.