An Angry Father

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Feb 10, 2012.

1. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

why won't the agree button work?

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

All due respect, IP, but it worked on me, and I love and respect my mom and dad even more over the negative reinforcements they issued than the positive reinforcements. I would give most anything to be able to shake my dad's hand and tell him that now.

3. JayVols

Amen, Kat! I think I might be in love with you after that statement.......

4. JayVols

I thought you were a conservative.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

So rednecks/white trash can't be good parents? I know some very red folks who raised great kids.

He wanted to make a point. His daughter learned from it. Seems like parenting success to me.

6. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

lol. I am.

7. CardinalVol

In every situation, no.

In this situation. Yes.

8. JayVols

Well....maybe not as much as you think. :)

9. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

I remember being young and my dad threatening to spank me before we left to go somewhere to save him the trouble of doing it when we got back. That n telling me I was getting spanked once, I threatened to call social services (10 years old prolly) and he told me to go ahead and when they came out they could charge him
    With murder n dig my cold dead body outta the front yard.

10. JayVols

Agreed

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

His computer, if he wants to [uck fay] it up more power to him.

I'd have just took it and sold it, but I guess he wanted to make a statement.

Also, I'm a fan of the belt. It kept me out of a lot of trouble, and taught me to weigh my options.

12. JayVols

I got the belt too. My dad had a hard leather razor strap in reserve for the times I REALLY screwed up. I didn't repeat the offenses that brought out the strap.....

13. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

i have friends who grew up with the "positive" reinforcement, and they are by far spoiled brats even to this day(age 29). they also have some sense that they are owed something. now on the other hand my dad would whip me til i couldn't sit down, he also put my arse to work. i appreciate the opportunities that i get. i also notice these similarities in people i know grew up like me. now i'm not saying that all positive reinforced kids are like this. just something i notice in the ones that are my friends.

14. CardinalVol

I got whatever was within range when I screwed up. Brushes, belts, spoons, switches, etc.

Worst form of torture as a kid was when you had to go get your own switch and it had to meet approval. And if it didn't you had to go get another and they'd just get angrier while you got a new one.

15. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

My brother n I had to go get each others switch/belt if we tattled about one another. We'd get told "if its that bad u have to come tell me go get my belt n I'll take care of it"

Taught us real quick to have each others back n not complain

16. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

that's funny kat

17. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Thats was great! As someone said earlier about being in a school now days, you can tell the kids that their parents have strong discipline and those that don't. The kids with strong discipline are the yes sir and no sir kids. Last night my wife and I went out to eat, there was a young family there with a little boy about 3-4 years old. His dad told him to do something and the kid started screaming at his dad to "shut-up!"By screaming, I mean screaming. They just sat there and did nothing about it. I sorry, but we are to be PARENTS to children and not their best friends.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, and the children of physically abusive parents are all perfect quivering little angels who go on to great lives.

Rather than employers giving bonuses, they should give seasonal demerits for slacking. More effective.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Everybody's different. I still fail to see the lesson learned by destroying a few hundred dollars worth of equipment/software. Sell it. Donate it. Don't destroy it. It's just stupid.

20. JayVols

I learned not to come back with too small a switch from my paternal grandmother. She was a hard core granny. Best cook I ever encountered. Teenagers would fight to help us put up hay and tobacco when she was alive because they wanted to eat her lunches. She died in '78 when I was only 7. I still remember her cooking. I miss that wonderful lady.