Angry Titans fan? Read this.

Discussion in 'Sports' started by IP, Mar 19, 2012.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I think Clay is a great writer, but I think his knowledge of actual sports ends with getting drunk at tailgates. I pretty much had that feeling even when I read his old CBS Sportline column back in the day. Just thought he did a good job capturing the culture around the SEC and that sort of thing really well, and then maybe I just grew up too. But now and then he'd say something that reminded me of things my casual football watching friends say while watching games that makes me want to shout and punch them.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Look at how the piece of shit owner is saying he doesn't understand why Peyton didn't want to "come home". "Home" is Louisiana. It isn't Nashville.

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

That's a really interesting point. Did you think that then, or with the help of hindsight?

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Anyone who grew up loving the Vols knows it is mostly bullshit, just looking at him now.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I understand it perfectly. He thinks he's Paul Finebaum.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Thought it as I read the book, but hindsight certainly helps confirm. It was just too over the top to be believable.

7. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

As a UT/Titans fan (bigger UT), I as everybody, am disappointed that he didn't choose to come to the Titans. I looked at the #ComeHomePeyton stuff as more of a statewide sentiment that most people had, than a Nashville deal. I realize that he looked at each situation and feels like Denver presents the best situation for that. Can't be mad at a guy for making what he feels is the best decision for himself personally.

8. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

That's pretty perceptive of you. I read the book just to learn some things about that debacle of a year and didn't consider too much about the rest. I'd love to see him answer a few UT trivia questions just for curiosity's sake.

9. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

The funniest part of the Travis rant is the part where he said Manning "sold out" for more money, as if people don't look for the highest paying job possible for themselves. All that I learned today is that I hate the Titans' fans even more with their total sense of entitlement, continued sense that they represent Tennessee and whiny ass response to his decision.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don't give myself too much credit. Go back and read the chapter where he watched the Sugar Bowl against Miami. It's so sappy your hands will stick to the pages. He basically wants us to believe that he was a bigger fan around age four than Al Wilson was circa 1998.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Clay would get "Roll Tide" tattooed on his forehead and move to Tuscaloosa if the price was right.

12. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Checked it out of the library, and frankly, I don't even remember that part. Doesn't matter though. It seems obvious now and I'm ticked he toyed with my nostalgia like that. (Half-kidding, half-serious btw).

13. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Someone calling someone else a sell-out is basically saying: "Hey I hate you for being more successful than me".

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

How many chapters was that book? I'm thinking around 3 or 4 out of 12 chapters were him convincing us that he is VFL and has been since birth. Why the need for that? Do you constantly share stories about how you learned addition by adding Carl Pickens's jersey to Andy Kelly's?

15. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

23. Didn't look or use calculator. Swear it.

16. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

Have seen several people on facebook (supposed Titans fans) today play the "we didn't want him anyway card" and then proceed to talk about how he never won anything while he was in Tennessee anyway. One even went so far as to post that he hopes he breaks both of his legs in Denver.

Class folks. We are in short supply of it.

17. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Yes, with an added "Hey, you didn't do what I wanted you to do."

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Hasselbeck and Locker have done all kinds of winning.

19. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

I'm a titans fan too.

I just don't understand why virtually our whole state is so butt hurt about the whole "issue." I obviously wanted him here too, but I also understand (like most rational people should) that there are multiple factors that go into making a decision like that when considering what place is a good fit. If that fit is in Denver, so be it.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Also, he and Todd Helton are friends, correct? I know Helton loves Colorado.