Another split for the fan base over a coach?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by SavageOrangeJug, Oct 31, 2011.

1. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I don't know what to think anymore...just win damnit.

2. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

funny how people expect him to win all these games this year with his two best offensive weapons hurt, plus the fact that we still lack depth, and are playing mostly frsh and soph. again last year we didn't even have a full roster. we lost JJ before the season even started. no matter who the coach is, we wouldn't win regardless. it's going to take 3-4 recruiting classes before we start making progress.

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I'm not expecting 7-8 wins Snake. You are confusing most people's intentions. I just want to see competent decisions and a team that concentrates on doing basic parts of the game correctly like not jumping offsides on 4th downs. Serious question, do you think that all of our problems are solely the result of youth and lack of depth? I know we have those issues. I never expected for us to even come close to contending for the SEC East. All I'm wanting to see is some progress. At this point, I am beginning to question just how much water the bamboo is really getting.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I'm not saying there haven't been challenges, Snake. Large ones.

I'm saying I could give two shits about them. He knew what he was walking into, and last I recall, he's still cashing those checks. I just want to win. Period.

I don't care if we change coaches mid-series.

I dont care if we have 10 coaching changes in 10 years.

I dont care of he's black, white, young, old, Buddhist, southern, Canadian, or anything else - I really don't.

Seriously - if there's a single coach in the world that you'd fire Dooley for tomorrow morning if it meant that you'd get that guy, then you're betting on the wrong horse. I don't need to give my wife 3 years to get our marriage turned around after catching her blowing a dude in the parking lot (again). If I know she's not the one, every day that I let her stay is a day that I'm not finding the last one.

Now, for some context - I'm not proposing that CDD should be fired after this season (unless he goes winless in SEC), but neither am I willing to wait 2 more years to hope that he can get us back to 8 or 9 wins a season. The day I'm convinced that this is all he is (and like most of you, I'm doubtful, but largely undecided) or will be, is the day that you should start tracking my tail number, because I'm going to go get the SOB who I think can do more.

Because we deserve more than that. Hart is the wildcard here. I know that he had nothing to do with Saban's hire - but you have to know what he took away from it. I believe those points would be:

1. Even the biggest, baddest most tradition-rich program cannot languish in mediocrity for an infinite amount of time. Had Bama not grabbed Saban, they were looking at an incredibly long road back, that may still have never come.

2. Bama knew who they wanted, and were talking to him 18 month before he said yes. If you wait until the job is open to figure out your options, you've waited too damn long.

3. They broke the bank - and reset the collegiate coaching pay scale for the guy they wanted. And they've regretted it for a moment, and have seen a return on their investment 100 fold.

4. When you're trying to protect the bell cow of the athletic department, it's no time to be frugal.

Having witnessed the Saban phenomenon first hand, Hartvis has seen positive proof of what hiring the right guy takes, and can produce. There's a reason Dooley wanted the GT AD.....and a reason (other than the 'AA fiasco) that hebwas never seriously considered. And I'll let everyone in on a little secret - it wasn't Jimmy Cheek who said no to him, nor who went to get Hart at Bama......but someone whom he knows would see it the same way as he does, as described above, and who can use that experience to sell the idea to others. That's why Hart is here.

5. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

serious question, who the hell wants the UT job? looks like we had enough problems getting coaches the past 2 times.

6. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I agree with most of what Tenny D says, except the Canadian coach part. Too many aboots and ayes for my taste.

7. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

The first time, they got their man but couldn't keep him. The second was a very difficult situation with timing difficulties and a fog of burning couch smoke over the Smokies.

UT has the facilities, the tradition, and the money to go hire a rainmaker if they are so inclined.

8. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Exactly. Dooley has to win 10 games next year IMO. He won't have the youth excuse next year. When you return 19 starters you have no excuses anymore.

9. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

First off, I am not saying CDD should be fired at all. What I am saying is that I expect more than what we all are getting out of this staff at this time. It's not about wins or losses for me right now (particularly against the SEC elite). It's about improvement and growth. Having said that.....

So we should just blindly accept what is going on? Is it not ok to demand more? Is the pursuit of excellence out of reach for the downtrodden UT football program? I have never been one to just accept the status quo even in the face of overwhelming circumstances. Trying times tend to bring out the best in those that possess special abilities. We are definitely in the midst of trying times, and I am still searching for someone with extraordinary abilities on our staff.

10. =rpvol=

=rpvol= Member

i was skeptical of dooley from the start. all i needed to see was his WAC record to have my doubts, but after last season i figured he may be the guy for the job. this year my doubts have turned to worry. sure we lost our best 3 players, but last time i checked we have other players. this isn't high school football. people have to step up and be coached up. no excuses for losing the SC game and honestly the GA game as well. that falls on coaching IMO. i am pretty sure he is going to get another year, but if we don't win 10 next year, time to move on.

11. cotton

What inspired confidence last season?

12. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

I would rather Chaney get fired before Dooley.......JMO, FWIW, GFY

13. =rpvol=

=rpvol= Member

recruiting came out better than i expected it to. he said all the right things that i think a lot needed to hear. i was willing to give a pass on the LSU mess, and knowing we should have won that game in his first season helped a bit. making a bowl was a good sign in his first year as well.

honestly, if you cannot even accumulate a winning record in the WAC in 3 years, how can anyone expect you to even win the SEC east much less the SEC? people shouldn't be shocked or even upset over any of this. we were in a bad spot (after kiffin left), took a chance and it looks like we lost.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I was and am a 2.

As I have said before, I like just about everything he has done off the field, and all things considered I think he has done as well as he can. However, what I see on the field concerns me. Great running a program guy, not so great actual coach.

15. cotton

The recruiting class appears solid, but I'm not sure that solid is good enough. I can't give any credit for a boneheaded giveaway loss to a superior team or to beating 6 absolutely awful teams to get bowl eligible.

16. cotton

double post

17. =rpvol=

=rpvol= Member

i never expected us to even be in that lsu game at the start of the season and i also figured a bowl his first season was about a 35% chance. i agree that was a terrible way to lose that lsu game though. the ball may have started downhill right then and there...

18. =rpvol=

=rpvol= Member

i wish they had just started over when dooley started....never was a huge fan.

19. cotton

It is with giving credit for the bowl that I really have issue. We beat a 1aa team, two CUSA bottom dwellers (one in OT,) and three conference teams that went a combined 4-20 in the SEC (and 3 of those wins came against each other.) That is probably the worst collection of 6 teams ever to appear on a UT schedule in a single year. Kentucky was by far the best team we beat, and they were 2-6 in the conference with computers putting them somewhere around 75th in the country.

The chances of getting bowl eligible were closer to 95%, and we almost didn't make it.

20. =rpvol=

=rpvol= Member

i honestly saw us at 5 wins last season. i figured KY or Vandy would sneak up on us for sure. no way i was even 50% sure at the start of the season we would make a bowl game.