Antonin Scalia

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by kidbourbon, Mar 20, 2012.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

This isn't isn't the first time he's taken a no-holds barred shot at the SC. I can't help but this this probably pisses off the liberals on the Court as much as the conservatives on principle alone.

2. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Presidents take shots at the Court when they are restricted by it from doing the things they want to do. I don't have a problem with that. My problem with that particular quote is the fundamental misunderstanding, or misrepresentation, of our governmental system and law.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

considering his background i think it's typical obmaa misrepresentation. sadly the "i'm only failing because people are playing politics" rhetoric seems to be working.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Is precedented a word? Cuz that is what this is.

5. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

As in "not unprecedented"? Good question. I use non-words all the time. I don't even bother looking them up. I just roll with it.

6. kidbourbon

The Supreme Court strikes down as unconstitutional laws "passed passed by a strong majority of a democratically elected Congress"* all the [dadgum] time. It's part of what they do. Obama knows this. His statement is political rhetoric that banks on the fact that most Americans are really dumb and will believe what they hear just because they heard it. Actually, I guess all political rhetoric pretty much banks on the fact that most americans are really dumb and will believe what they hear just because they heard it.

*Is there another kind?

7. kidbourbon

Okay, I looked this one up. Precedented is a word and it means what you think it means, but well-precedented is more commonly used to mean the same thing.

According to this random site: English: Precedented vs. Unprecedented | Learn Out Live!

8. kidbourbon

He's still got it.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/14pdf/13-1352_ed9l.pdf

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

What's funny is if a younger person wrote something like that, they'd be told it was too informal and unprofessional.

10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

The person who would tell them that is a fool.

11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Probably not if they were a Supreme Court Justice.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

English teachers say it all the time. Something witty thrown in? Take it out.

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I don't feel like looking it up, but there is a tax court case out there involving conway Twitty where the judge gave the opinion in lyric format. If anyone so cares, it involves Twitty burger.

14. kidbourbon

I would never tell somebody something like that. What part do you think a typical English teacher might object to?

15. kidbourbon

16. kidbourbon

I think Antonin Scalia is a great person to use as a model for one's own writing. And I'm not even referring to his combative tone -- not that I take issue with his tone -- but just his writing generally. He's gooood.

17. kidbourbon

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

See, I used to think that there must be something defined or special about laws and legal writings that made these things absolutely certain when written, and that is what one learned when going to law school. Like there must be some legalese English that had rules like a programming code so everything was always understood one way when written, if one knew it.

Now I wonder if the second amendment is about tank tops.

19. kidbourbon

Militiamen were very self-conscious about farmer's tans. It's true.

20. kidbourbon