Any explanations?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by cotton, Oct 16, 2016.

1. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Has anybody seen any sort of explanation from the coaching staff as to what, exactly, they think happened Saturday?

2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Alabama's first-string is way, way, way better than our second-string. Who knew?

But more seriously, no I haven't.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Even my posi-vol parents were questioning the number of wasted plays on offense, where we kept running to and passing to the flats, as if they'd suddenly stop blowing it up.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  4. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Doesn't this shed light on the fact that Botch has recruited too many busts to have any kind of quality depth on the OL in year 4? And LB.

5. Tar Volon

The 2014 LB class was 100% busts. Five recruits, only one in the two-deep to start their junior year. Going 0/5 in one position group in one season really messes with you long-term, much like going a year without recruiting an offensive lineman

6. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I keep hearing the idea pitched about how Bama was ripping thru our 2nd and 3rd string OL. Im still trying to figure out why people thought the first group was even decent.

7. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

8. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

It wasn't but it looked like the 95 cowboys compared to what was out there Saturday night

9. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Jones broke it down pretty well. Said team played without Neyland focus and lacked eye discipline. If they can fix that, they'll be back in business.

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

They cannot explain anything to me because I have completely stopped listening to the conman.

11. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

You need to get your ears in gear to improve your auditory focus as well as your cochlear discipline.

12. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

This made me curious.

2015:
    Kirkland - good
    Sapp - ?
    Austin Smith - who?

2014:
    Bryant - not good
    Jakob Johnson - not good
    Dillon Bates - bust?
    Weatherd - he gone
    E Berry - looks good in limited time (why is he backing up Jumper?)

2013:
    Vereen - switched to DE
    JRM - bad ass

That's not a lot of LBs

13. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

OL hasn't looked good all year

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

But it looked like the 95 cowboys compared to what we had to put out there Saturday

15. Tar Volon

I ignored Weatherd, since he was a JUCO. Add McDowell.

And Berry wasn't backing up Jumper, he was 4th string behind JRM, McDowell, and Sapp

16. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

It's just year four.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I swear the coaches had raved about Austin Smith. Maybe moving him to DE, where we are stacked, was really, really stupid.

18. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Not particularly

19. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Having JRM, Sutton and Kirkland would have made a huge difference on defense. I'm not sure it would have been a 49 point difference, but a significant improvement, nonetheless.

Our offense has little room for any excuse.

The scheme is not only stupid, but static and predictable.

Josh Dobbs has zero business playing QB at this level. Zero. He's not a "below average passer", he is a terribly bad passer. And yesterday, he played like he didn't want to run at all, and there were more than several opportunities for him to keep it.

How we can't find a way to keep both Kamara and Hurd in the backfield at the same time is beyond me, and is criminally stupid.

That our OLine is still so fragile and meal pieced that inserting even 1-2 of our second string guys into the starting rotation makes us look like a mediocre high school team, even now in Jones' fourth session, is inexcusable.

That our OLine plays with such horribly bad technique doesn't help at all, and that also rests on Jones' head.

That we don't have a QB coach is crazy. Not like slangily "crazy", like "criminally insane" crazy.

The entire offense needs a complete overhaul. And if we don't get it, our ceiling is always going to be 10 wins, max.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Year 3. We started at zero.