Any good from Spring Practice so far?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by MaconVol, Mar 30, 2012.

1. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

U right, I wrong.

I honestly thought we would slowly be going away from a FB.

2. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I believe I have heard Dooley say that Raijon Neal is full time at RB right now.

3. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

He did say that. Neal is a rb anyway.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He needs to figure out how to not run backwards and to hold onto the ball before I can really say he is more of a RB than a WR.

5. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I thought with Fugate moved it was almost a given that we were phasing out the position of FB. It's no secret that Dooley doesn't like it

6. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Devante Bourque will have to get a look once he shows up on campus.

7. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Also it would be great to use Hill the way Aaron Hayden was used. Different looks in the backfield as a fullback and tailback, let him catch it on a swing plays, put him in the slot occasionally. Basically try to take advantage of his speed and size

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Sure, but Hill us on campus now. A lot of uncertainty around Bourque - is he as good as expected and if so, can he figure things out quickly enough for it to matter?

9. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Running back takes less of a transition from hs to college than any other position in football.

10. chavisut

The running part maybe. Pass blocking not so much and it's no secret what this team is gonna live and die on.

11. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

We will still keep a FB or two around. IMO

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

But how long has it been since we have had a true freshman make a significant impact?

13. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Bryce Brown at RB.

Many others at other positions just in the last few years.

14. chavisut

Bruce Brown was not an impact player.

15. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

He made a significant impact that year.

16. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

The only thing Neal did last year was exhibit the expected decline of a player whose been shown by the coaching staff that he is being phased out in lieu of an unproven freshman and a proven chicken shit. If I were him, I'd have transferred out the first time Jim Chaney's fatass mentioned the word "WR" to me.

Unless Hunter is at 100% by September, Rogers is still on the team, and Patterson qualifies and can play, we won't have enough talent at WR to warrant going 3 and 4 WRs. Like last year, defenses will treat the WR(s) they know we won't/can't throw it to like he was Steven Pearl and will load up on the pass rush.

I love the optimism but your theory is dependent on Jim Chaney/[ddiapos] understanding the concept of offensive game planning. The truth is, we are just as likely to see The Great White Hope (Ben Bartholomew) in a one back set as we are to see intelligent packages designed to create mismatches.

17. chavisut

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

In what game? I wasn't one of the guys calling him a bust because he wasn't Adrian Peterson, but he didn't make a "significant" impact his one year here. He played pretty well for a true freshman, but if he had been declared academically ineligible for the entire season, the record is exactly the same.

You honestly might have to go all the way back to Jamal Lewis in '97 for the last true impact freshman RB. Not 100% remembering what Henry and Stephens did their first years. None of these guys are that good.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

This might depend on "impact." Did he allow for some "breathers" for our real running back? Yes. And he did a better job of it than any alternative on the roster.

Was he a running attack in his own right? No, not really.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Patterson isn't practicing with the team yet, is he?