Any Of You Folk Heading Down...

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by NYY, Oct 11, 2012.

1. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

To the baseball practice/scrimmage Saturday morning and afternoon? Barring a last minute schedule change, I should be down there.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I was until you said you would be there. Decided to go to the football game instead.

3. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Is Serrano still the coach?

4. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Come on down, Hat.

5. hatvol96

No chance in Hell.

6. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

You went when that rube Raleigh was the man didn't you?

I know your feelings on it and I share them. Dave needs to get a real damn degree. But he's going to do great things here and is a helluva baseball coach.

7. hatvol96

I don't give a shit if he wins 10 CWS in a row and is Billy Martin, Whitey Herzog, and Davey Johnson all rolled into one. I said I'd not have anything to do with the baseball program as long as he's the coach and I'm a man of my word.

8. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Fair enough.

9. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

What's wrong with this guy? Legitimately wondering.

10. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

He has a degree from a degree mill. It looks terribly for the University to have a coach leading a program that doesn't have a legitimate degree. However, I have been fortunate enough to meet Dave a few times and know many of the same people he does so I'm torn on the issue. He's an upper echelon coach in college baseball, which also helps. But I can see those folks, see Hat, that are upset with his hiring with a faux degree.

11. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Hat speaks with a twang. He can get over it.

12. hatvol96

No, like your near terminal cluelessness, my position on Serrano is fixed and permanent.

13. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

I can be something of an idealist and often cling to principle, but the degree mill doesnt even register on my giveadamn meter.

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

it just seems to me the guy has already proven his ability to do the job he was hired for, i dunno why it's such an issue. JMO.

15. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I think it looks bad on Serrano. It's tough to tell players to get a degree and go to class when you took the path of least resistance yourself. Does the degree mean anything job related? No. but UT is a University first and its employees should have the required credentials to be employed.

16. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Right behind home plate. Beautiful day for baseball.

17. hatvol96

Great point. I have no idea on earth why a university should have educational standards for its employees.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I get that, but can't expertise/experience in the field fill that requirement? In relation to the position the person is hired for?

19. hatvol96

From my perspective, Hell no.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

To play devil's advocate, would you have a problem with a guy like Bill Gates teaching a computer science class?