Any Of You's Guy's Had Any Experience With Preemie Babies?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NYY, Oct 26, 2011.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Hang in there NY.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Droski, what do you disagree with? Just curious.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

huh? I'm not following you IP

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

The forum says you disagree with this post:

Must have just been an accidental click, I guess.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

weird. no i don't disagree.

6. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Our son was three weeks early....jaundice really bad, he sat in the sun.....lol

7. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Been there, done that.

8. OrangeEmpire

Pat on the back or a cookie?

9. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Scary knowing you procreated oe. Knowing there's a little you running around is only outclassed by knowing someone willingly received you at one point.

10. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

My twins were 25.5 week preemies, so I've run the gambit of the process, but we really never had significant setbacks. We were told that our son would likely have CP and to be prepared for him never to walk and such, but none ever materialized. I understand that ours, both well under 2 lbs, have run a very fortunate course and avoided the myriad problems, but our are just kids at this point. They might have some attention span issues because they were being poked and prodded when they were supposed to be in the dark and suspended in liquid, but they really are no worse for the wear. Our neonatal cardiologist told us that we should probably keep our son out of football because of the respirator damage to his lungs (he struggled much more than our daughter, verifying the wimpy white male issue NYY referenced), but he said even that damage heals itself over time and to simply return for a follow up if he really wants to go full contact. Obviously, everyone isn't as fortunate, but the NICU has us come back with our kids and photo albums every year to talk to parents going through the process today. I have no doubt that we provide plenty of hope, because you'd never know our kids were under 2 lbs at birth.

It's a harrowing experience something akin to a bad roller coaster, but the medicinal advances in the NICU are astounding. You'll likely never experience most of the advances because 36 weeks is pretty much considered out of the woods (minus much of the fat that kids pack on in the last 4 weeks).

11. OrangeEmpire

Sgt in the state police academy said the same thing

12. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Glad to hear they're doing well. It's been a roller coaster that's for sure. We've went from preparing for him at 22 weeks, to thinking we were in the clear with the bedrest. To now going back to thinking he's coming early again.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Didn't get a whole lot of work in the NICU, but if I ever did have a patient there I'd check in on him everyday for several weeks past when he really needed me. It's just a surreal environment. It can at times obviously be very sad, but the little buggers that are doing well can really lift your spirits.

14. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

You a doctor kpt?

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Proctologist.

tumblr_ljluvr8QRm1qhv4l8.jpg

16. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

In that case, I hope I never meet you.

17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I generally use both hands to form a pistol and do it that way. Bang!

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I know all cases are different, but to give you an idea that you're in pretty good shape, this is essentially considered full term for twins.

20. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

working that thumb in must be a treat.