Anybody attend...

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by MaconVol, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I could see OV walking out of the woods, taking off his coveralls, and walking straight to the pulpit.

Unless he actually shot something.

2. Beechervol

Mine does.

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I grew up with pastors wearing the traditional robes or white clerical collars. I like it.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I don't recall ever doing an actual sermon or sermon series a lot, but it is referenced quite often.

5. CardinalVol

Church I grew up in the pastor wore a suit and tie every Sunday and anytime he was out an about in an "official" role in the community.

Now? Slacks and untucked shirt are about as fancy as it gets. Always funny when a first-timer shows up wearing a suit and tie.

6. Beechervol

Are you preaching the gospel?

7. CardinalVol

That is the one and only thing that is preached.

8. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

The preacher that baptized me always wore a suit and tie for services, but he baptized me wearing the same waders that he went duck hunting in all the time. Appearance never bothered me much either way. Also spent a considerable amount of time in the church that volfanjo is referring to with the traditional robes.

9. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

My Dad was not a preacher, but was as knowledgeable when it came to referencing the Bible. He actually taught a study group based on the Book of Revelation entirely because that was his favorite book. I've never met another individual that was so intrigued/inspired by that book. Naturally, it rubbed off on me as often as we discussed it. I've often read that preachers purposely choose not to cover the book in much detail for fear of scaring the church body. I've always operated under the notion that not only is it part of the Bible (which means it should be taught), but if you truly are a believer and have accepted the lord you have nothing to worry about.

10. CardinalVol

The only...."problem".....with revelation is that there are 1,000 different ways to view it. To cover it and teach/preach it correctly, you pretty much have to cover it from every angle. I think that is why so many pastors don't want to approach it, at least from my experience.

11. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I can certainly understand that. In part, I think that's what intrigued my Dad so much about it. It's not something you simply read once and comprehend. I inherited dozens of books from him that try to explain the inner meanings behind it and still don't fully comprehend it. The other thing my Dad did research on was Bible code. He had quite a few books on it too. I'm not completely sold on that though. What do you guys think about the possibility of Bible codes existing?

12. Beechervol

I missed that somewhere.

Amen brother.

13. Beechervol

My youth pastor took a course on Revelation in school, he gave me all of his study guides to read through. Interesting book.

14. Beechervol

I think a lot of what makes it hard to comprehend is that its not describing everyday occurrences we that we see and understand. A lot of those that I have listen to on the subject have made reference to that.

15. CardinalVol

I'm not really a believer in Bible codes.

To the best of my ability (take that for what it's worth) I believe that Revelation is both symbolic and literal. I don't think it's an either/or that so many want to make it out to be. There is stuff like the 144,000 where I just have to say "I don't know" and move on. I don't know and in the grand scheme of things Bible and Christianity there are more pressing issues to deal with.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  16. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I wouldn't dare leave it out! And we just finished the entire book of Revelation in Wednesday night Bible study a couple of months ago.

17. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I need the 8th Maxim people to pray for me here tonight. My grandmother was tragically shot and I would just really appreciate you guys if yall could talk to the big man upstairs on behalf of my family.

18. You've got them, MV.

19. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Prayers going up now MV. May you find peace. God bless.

20. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Prayers sent