Anyone else concerned about the future?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by tvolsfan, Nov 4, 2012.

1. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Watching this team play, it seems like the vast majority of good players we have will either leave for the NFL or graduate within the next two years. We didn't sign an offensive lineman last year and we have glaring depth issues at other positions. Not to mention recruiting looks pretty bad.

What kind of roster is the next coach going to inherit? How long do you think it will take a good coach to start competing?

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It can be corrected in two recruiting classes

3. mmmjtx

mmmjtx Member

That is acting on the premise that a lot of these players will go pro. I am not certain that that will be the case. And I agree-a couple of good recruiting classes will solve this in a hurry. That, and a decent coaching staff.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Who goes pro depends on who's hired. Hunter is gone regardless imo. Patterson wants to stay, but I don't know if he'll be able to turn down a high draft grade. Bray needs another year, but I'm not sure he's kept his grades where they should be.

I don't see any OL leaving early. There will be academic casualties, because there always is regardless of who the coach is. I can see Tom Smith transferring too.

5. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

A Gruden hire would solve this

6. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Even if we don't lose those guys to the draft, a lot of guys are still going to be gone within two years.

7. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I'm not sure how much can be done with this class, though.

8. govols74n

govols74n New Member

We could still be playoff contenders in the year 2020......how bad does that sound?

9. WestTennVol

WestTennVol New Member

Man I am very worried. Every report I hear ( I'm no insider just sports radio and message board info) but every report says heart and butt cheek are not going to sign off on firing Dooley. I do not understand what they are thinking! Even Kentucky has shown more passion than us and fired joker and we have record breaking level of crap Dooley! I'm very worried the powers that be will keep doofus one more year. It will make us the new ky.

10. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

[​IMG]

"Misdirection. On WestTennVol. Penalty will be 1664 yards from the spot of the foul. First down, Gruden."

11. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

You need to be reading some different reports.

12. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

You give Cheek (who reports to Gov Haslam and Donor Haslam) too much power.

13. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

laughed

14. WestTennVol

WestTennVol New Member

Ha ha! You guys are probably right. Its just hard for me not to be concerned. I was in east Tn and say whatever local show on tv with jimmy hymes and they were saying boosters want change, cheek wants Dooley to stay and heart is pissed not wanting anyone to tell him him what to do. I hope for the best and you guys trust Tenny D so I will too.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Not enough people realize this

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

One of them being Cheek.

17. reese_hallvol

reese_hallvol New Member

Tennessee is flirting with becoming irrelevant in the college football landscape for years to come as things stand now. We have an administration that's not committed to winning... plain and simple. The people who call the shots have accepted mediocrity, and that's what we're gonna get if things don't change drastically. I don't give a damn about public relations or "the university's image," if we were committed to winning, Dooley would have been shown the door a few weeks ago. Bama, LSU, Georgia, Florida, and even South Carolina don't look to be going down anytime soon. While schools like Ole Miss, State, and A&M are all on the upswing. Auburn is down now, but don't think for a second they will accept this product. They'll go out and hire whoever they need to hire to get the job done again, and I believe Arkansas is committed to doing the same. That pretty much leaves us, Missouri, Vanderbilt, and UK as the lower tier programs of the conference. I'll preface this belief by saying this is how it's going to turn out only if we don't take drastic measures, and re-commit to winning. If Dooley is given another year, our program is going to suck ass for the for seeable future.. it's that simple. If Hart puts his foot down, and tells Cheek and the other UT brass from the academia side to go to hell, then we still have hope. I have my doubts about Hart though, honestly. I truly believe any AD worth a damn would have said enough is enough, and fired Dooley a couple weeks ago to make a statement to the fans. If we didn't have a rising star coaching our basketball team, I'd be extremely depressed. If you want to see how a real leader builds a program, and conducts his business, watch Cuonzo Martin. Dooley hasn't stopped giving excuses to anyone who'd listen since the day he took the job. It's always been, "well, we're so young, inexperienced, our schedule is brutal.. etc" with Dooley. Martin hasn't made one excuse since the day he took over, and he walked into one hell of a mess as well. He's quietly gone about his business, while instilling a toughness and discipline in our basketball program that will translate into winners. We need a leader like Martin to take over the football team in a bad, bad way. Cuonzo has created his successes in life through hard work, determination, and an unbelievable drive to be the best. In comparison, if Dooley's father wasn't a legendary icon in college football, he would have been laughed out of the door when he submitted his resume to UT. People who want to give Dooley more time are prime examples of what our football program is becoming. Under Dooley, I've seen a once proud, and even slightly arrogant fan base that feared no one, transform into a culture that accepts 6-6 or 7-5 type seasons, and a culture that takes on the attitude of its leader in giving an excuse for the shortcomings every Saturday. Hopefully, there's still some people on the Hill that have some balls, and are ready to say enough is enough... but until I see it, I'll certainly have my doubts.

MaconVol likes this.
  18. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Boom - wall of text. (At least on mobile)

19. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Rookie mistake.

20. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

good post