Anyone who thinks Dooley can't manage games....

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Unimane, Nov 19, 2011.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Upon further review, the ref never blew a whistle. That whistling sound was the hopes and dreams of Vandy fans plummeting back to reality.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

IP, I had 4 Vandy jackholes that sat in front of me in Terrace 2. They may be book smart, but they don't know jack shit about football. Poor guys. I ALMOST felt a twinge of sorrow for them after the OT pick 6. It was like someone had shot their dog or something. Then I realized that they were Vandy fans and were accustomed to devastation. I then
    continued my bombastic revelry at their expense.

3. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

There was 100% a whistle - and the side judge not only ran in waving his arms, but had his foot extended, as if to mark the ball (where he thought Edwards was down). Like Cotton, I watched it on DVR several times.

The entire officiating crew should be released for that play, alone. First, for the stupid whistle (when in doubt, don't blow it), second for whichever one called it a fumble, and finally, for the head ref being stupid enough to repeat such a glaringly stupid call with a straight face.

I'm not sure I buy the end of regulation shit (calling a TO, only to then kneel) - you didn't realize until that moment that Bray couldn't sling it that far? Or that Palardy was shit outside of 20 yards? I would call it a cluster[uck fay], but fear that I might accidentally offend any true cluster[uck fay] that read this. Same shit, different game.

I'm neither advocating CDD's firing, nor hiring Franklin to replace him - but just as an exercise, ask yourself these three questions:

1. Switch the coaches (CDD to Vandy, Franklin to TN)...what's the final score tonight?

2. Which program seems to be more on the upswing?

3. Which team / coach would you rather play for, if given the chance?

That's about all that needs to be said, I think.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Just some random thoughts.

I missed the ref blowing the whistle. I saw him spotting the ball, but thought maybe that was some funky OT rule he had to do. I guess I just don't have much sympathy because of the number of end of game referee cluster[uck fay]s that have gone against us in my life. As of now I think the score is 2 for us, at least 3 against us.

James Franklin can suck it. Dude needs to get over himself. Other than running his mouth and looking like a jackass, he's not done anything to date that hasn't been accomplished at Vandy before.

Glad to see Rod Wilks have a career night, even if they did pick on him the entire second half. If only he could have housed that fumble recovery.

How in the hell can you have a 22 yard field goal blocked? And it wasn't even close.

I may be the only one, but Wilcox is growing on me. He's managed to field a pretty decent defense all things considered and other than Vandy's 3rd scoring drive, did all they could do last night.

However, for anyone who is using the "lack of talent and youth" argument, I really hope this game served as a wake up call that even though those two things are true, there are a ton of other symptoms with this team that says there is also a third problem, one that some of us have been screaming for over a month now.

5. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Wilkes' angle on the fumble return was worse than the angle on the INT return a few weeks ago, which I thought was the worst cut-back imaginable.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Putting Wilks one on one in man coverage is absolute suicide.

7. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

for the record, if i was big time recruit i would pick Dooley and Tennessee 100 times out of 100 over that petulant child that coaches in Nashville.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

What was the deal with Andrew Jelks, the TN OL we were after at one point that's now committed to Vandy? Recruiting junkies say we backed off, but they say that anytime someone picks the opposition.

9. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

[video=youtube;G51g8u9-1XY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G51g8u9-1XY[/video]

10. JayVols

Cardinal,
    You have hit the nail on the head with your last post IDGAS if the OT call was blown. The right thing happened. The ref screwed up royally by saying a knee was down. Plus, we still have a ton of capital in the 'we deserve a break' bank.

Franklin acts like the loud mouthed braggart that has done everything longer better and more than anyone else, yet he hasn't accomplished shit. The word "nuveau
    riche`" minus the small detail of having any money.

Rod Wilks- Even though I can't deny having made a Rod Wilks joke, I'm happy as a puppy with 2 peters that the cracks about hkm have not migrated to the 8th. Getting torched for the TD aside, he played a decent game.

Wilcox is growing on me as well. I have been on him like a duck on a june bug, I see progress being made in the D as the season has progressed. That's all I have wanted to see with this team.

As to your last point, if anyone can't admit we are a team with some major coaching issues by now, they are either blind, ignorant about football, or a monumental homer that refuses to objectively look at our team's performances. The lack of discipline, inability to manage the clock, and the 'WTF?' playcalling were glaringly obvious last night. At this point, I only see a salvage crew overall on the sideline. Dooley and a few others surely don't look like a (re)construction crew.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The posters on this site are the ones that invented the Rod Wilks jokes, actually.

12. JayVols

They were funny at first, but there comes a time when it becomes too much. The dead horse was getting the crap beat out of it.

Thanks for the press conference link, VD.

13. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

watched the Bray interview too.

i didn't see what he got the penalty for. is there video of it? if they were trying to cheap shot him first, i don't have a problem with what he did, or rather, what i've been able to gather he did.

14. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

For the record, I think the term petulant child applies much more to the coach in Knoxville than it does to the one in Nashville.

15. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

you couldn't tell by the way he acted last night.

16. cotton

Which one? The guy pissed because officials blew a game changing call 3 different ways, or the guy throwing a tantrum at one of his underlings because he didn't understand what was going on?

17. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

the first one. the refs made the wrong call to make the right one. his team had a plethora of opportunities to put us away. get over it.

18. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Franklin's a [itch bay]. His Vandy team is no more competitive than those coached by Johnson, Widenhofer, and DiNardo. He's just had the good fortune of coaching in a dreadful east division this year. His run in Nashville will end like all the others have.

19. JayVols

I saw it live. As bad as I hate to say it, it was a stupid and chicken shit move by Bray. He cut a DL's legs 40 yards behind the play. Wasn't a smart move given it has no bearing on the play and the fact that Bray just returned from an injury.

I wonder if it was an attempted payback for an equally chicken shit clip on Couch in an obvious attempt to injure Mo. Mo was blowing the center up pretty good most of the night. They tried a cheap shot to get him out. Kesling asked Dooley about it in The CDD Postgame Show. He made it sound like that move by a Vandy OL against Couch had happened several times this season. He asked CDD if hes was going to take it to the SEC.

If it was payback, fine. I just don't want our marquee QB who we have stunk it up without who is just returning from injury dishing out said payback.

20. cotton

I don't take any issue with the bolded. I think he has gotten his team to play pretty well for what they are this year, but their best win might be UConn. I also don't think [itch bay] applies, particularly if it is based on the post game reaction. The officials botched the call in every way imaginable, and it went against his team in a game that would have been huge for his program. A fit at that point is somewhat understandable.