POLITICS AOC Election Chances

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Savage Orange, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I get dragged into erything. Real life and fake

2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

That these could be sober inane ramblings is a swerve I haven’t yet considered.

3. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Serious question for Gah, and I’m not trying to trap you or play “gotcha” but have you ever been to any Latin American countries like Guatemala, Honduras or El Salvador? Mexico counts but only “actual” Mexico, not the tourist/resort areas... I have, and I totally understand why these folks are willing to risk everything to get here. As you said before, most of these illegals are good, decent folks and I just have a hard time faulting them for coming here, even if they aren’t following the proper channels to do it.

4. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

At least someone was giving you credit. Stop [itch bay]ing.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

She's quickly becoming my favorite Democrat.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I’ve been all over Mexico and it’s hardly the toilet you seem to be saying it is. Mexico City is a hell of a lot nicer than many other 3rd world cities I’ve been to. I have an American friend who prefers to live in Mexico City. He and his wife love it. My sister in law also has multiple relatives with duel citizenship who prefer living in Mexico.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    Savage Orange likes this.
  7. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Totally agreed. Mexico is a huge country and most all of it is very nice (especially SMA, Guanajuato, La Paz and other areas...) by anyone’s standard but there are also several areas that are extremely run down. The poorest areas of Mexico are really what I’m referring to... those people are the ones I just can’t find it in my heart to fault for leaving. If it were a situation where they could just relocate in country, find a decent job and stay there it would be different but that’s really not the case in Mexico. It’s complicated on all sides and when there’s a country like the US right there to go to, I can see why they’d risk everything to try to get here.

8. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

I almost felt bad for her yesterday when she got smacked around by the former ICE director, but then I saw her stunt about being sworn in while testifying in front of congress, and I remembered why I hold her in such low regard.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I understand why they want to come here, but we need to stop acting like their refugees from Haiti or something.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

a pot of them are not Mexican, as a matter of fact

11. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

If we don’t like the conditions at the border - which I don’t - why don’t we start approving massive funds to improve the situation?

I suppose the true answer is that it validates the idea of holding the immigrants.

But it isn’t an unreasonable idea to stop every immigrant and hold them in an adequate housing until they are admitted or deported.

So let’s get to building I guess.

I am completely against the rhetoric that Trump used to launch his campaign. And that’s why I largely oppose HIS wall. Stopping illegal immigration isn’t wrong. How he approaches it is.

But it is also wrong to make the conditions at the border worse to make his policies look bad.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    Unimane likes this.
  12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Is that what you think is happening?

13. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I don’t hear a massive upswell to promote funding the camps and making conditions better - I just hear that having the camps is wrong.

The Democrats have the House. If they wanted to make the conditions better, why are we not seeing legislation? Have I missed it? The House approved the Senate’s aid bill - but did I miss the Democrats own version - out front, first?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Large majority are Mexican citizens. That’s a fact

15. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

No, I haven't.

It is easy to see why they want to come. Their countries aren't so great, America is.

Dems campaign on open borders and free healthcare is the biggest cherry on top imaginable.

There are layers of crisis at the border. Pick one. They're all relevant and will only get worse from here.

16. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Because they don't want to resolve the issue.

2020 Dems are collectively saying it would not be illegal to cross the border.

All of them.

If that is their plan, then why go through the trouble of spending countless dollars for facilities, when those facilities could be obsolete in the very near future?

Open borders, no ICE, thus no need to resolve the issue, plus it would be a win for Trump and they can't have that, the border crisis and his Tweets are about all they have left.

I think it backfires on them in a real bad way, we will see.

17. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

They did have a version, but there was a lot of infighting between the liberal and centrist factions before they gave into the Senate version passed a few weeks ago.

18. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

No, they are not "all" pushing this. I think you are so far to the right you can't, or won't, differentiate between the candidates.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm a little confused by this. I even waited a bit before immediately responding. There's only one real question here: do you, TT, believe the conditions in the camp are bad? Because the House Democrats are arguing about whether funding would just be diverted to more camps rather than improving conditions. The GOP is saying that camp conditions are good and folks are being treated well, but more barriers are needed.

Whether sending funds would improve things is a level of detail I can't really know, given the schism I just pointed out above. I know they won't let citizens donate toiletries, which I don't understand and would go some ways to improving things without tax money.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Ehhh which one has come out and said they are for protecting our borders? They are all terrified of being called racists