POLITICS AOC Election Chances

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Savage Orange, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Name one who has called for "open borders" like the kind we had until about 1980?

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

It’s pretty clear that’s what the agenda is. As usual the dems overreact

3. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

While not all of the facilities have unacceptable conditions, many do. It’s not right. If we’re going to do this we need to do it better. Same way I felt about breaking up the families.

I think the truth is that we do need more camps if this is how we are going to do it. And the camps do need better conditions.

I honestly believe that there are Democrats that want to prolong this discussion with the shitty conditions in the spotlight in order to drive the wedge. Just as Trump wants the camps to be a deterrent the democrats think they can win on highlighting how bad they are - and the longer the conditions persist the louder that argument can get.

I think a lot of people are using these people as pawns.

4. Unimane

No, it's not the agenda.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

What’s the agenda then?

6. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

To get as many voters as possible

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Then they are going at it way wrong.

8. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

During the debate, they were asked by a show of hands which among them would decriminalize crossing the border. They all raised their hands.

RockyHill likes this.
  9. Unimane

Decriminalizing isn't open borders. You know this, right?

10. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

See, you can help me here, Un.

If the left doesn’t want open borders, it sure as hell seems like it, whether you actually say it or not.

But let’s say that I take your premise as being true - that the left doesn’t want open borders....then tell me what they want.

Because from my perspective, getting Mexico to stop illegal immigration on their side, and mass deportations of illegal immigrants is a pretty sweet deal, IMO.

* EDIT: Almost forgot to mention the wall, which continues to be built, unabated...and is also a very sweet deal.

Y’all got something better than that? I’d love to hear it, if true.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  11. Tenacious D

I appreciate the shit out of this post.

For me, the question is whether someone feels about how add’l funding, or a lack thereof, would affect conditions at the border.

It seems obvious to me while add’l funding may not improve conditions, that a lack of funding would only guarantee that conditions would worsen.

It’s also curiously ironic to me that we’re seeing an odd shift here, where the decades old arguments that Dems have raised as to why innocent children would be further harmed if entitlements to deadbeat parents were lessened / eliminated, seem not to apply, here....but it’s almost exactly the same situation.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Oh come on.

GahLee likes this.
  13. Tenacious D

But they were sooooo close!

upload_2019-7-14_15-36-19.gif

droski likes this.
  14. Tenacious D

Legit LOL.

This is where they are, Dros.

Removing the illegality in crossing our border is not the same as open borders.

He’s going to argue this.

Just watch and stay out of his way.

15. Tenacious D

Hahahahaha!

I wonder if you’ll see that clip again, later?

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Explain the causative relationship, and why it doesn't hold true for Oregon, Nevada, Utah, Minnesota, Virginia, New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, or New Hampshire.

I do this thing whenever someone posts an image or a gif: I right click on it, and "search google for this image." It's truly incredible the places where this one gets shared. You wouldn't like it.

17. Unimane

Decriminalizing means making it a misdemeanor, a civil, offense rather than a criminal one.

Just watch, you're going to fail to understand this one like you can't figure out what personal freedoms mean.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

So it is your position that for most of American history, we had open borders. Got it.

19. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

It blows my mind that you, IP or anybody else can keep a straight face when saying this. Yes, everyone here knows it doesn’t literally mean open borders.

20. Tenacious D

So, just to understand your high-minded analysis, here.....

You’re saying that levying a civil penalty against those who cross the border will do, what, lessen the amount of those who do it...or increase the numbers who do it?

But maybe it’ll work - if there’s one thing that is so well-proven as to be universally accepted and agreed, it’s that illegal immigrants are fastidious about keeping criminal court appointments....and that should easily transfer over to their being similarly responsible in their handling of a civil penalty / summons....is that....your....argument, Un?

And, realize that a misdemeanor is still a criminal act, right? You’re saying that if we only lowered the penalty for illegally crossing...that would reduce illegal crossings? What other criminal activity can we curb by lessening the penalties? Can we scrap all gun control laws, too?