POLITICS AOC Election Chances

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Savage Orange, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Sorry, how am I arguing that?

Until we began getting flooded with millions of illegal immigrants, no, I don’t think we needed a wall. But now we are, and do.

You know we also wore powdered wigs and used quill pens, too, right? Still game for those?

2. Tenacious D

Neither of you guys have told us what you want, if not “open borders”.

Again, and sincerely, Trump’s offering me a damned sweet deal right now, but if y’all got something better, brother, lay it on me.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

You're absolutely speaking my language. Times change, and we shouldn't hide from that behind the Founding Fathers. Now let's talk about healthcare and climate change.

4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

No, again, not a criminal act, a civil one. But, hey, make things more punitive; it sure worked with our drug laws, didn't it?

A civil offense makes it easier, in my opinion to deal effectively and more humanely with the people who are coming regardless (And the number was actually going down throughout the Obama years without these more draconian policies of Trump), letting us focus more, as in the Obama years, on the more violent and dangerous border crossers. It's a manufactured crisis and I could think of a number of issues which deserved more attention than this one, but now it's just a damn mess.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

If you think paying 775 dollars a person per day to private prison contractors is a sweet deal, I volunteer to take on a family myself. I will quit my job and teach them English, feed them, house them, and make sure they make their court appearances until their status is resolved. Hell, that'd be quite the raise. I'm all for it. Sign me up.

6. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

We should put piles of meth, crack, heroin, and pills out all over the streets in my opinion.

7. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I don't, but it's also clear our War on Drugs effort has been a clear disaster and draconian drug sentencing laws have caused more problems than their worth. I see this immigration situation the same. There is some ground between open borders, in whatever concept RockyHill determines them to be, and the mass incarceration camps we see now, in my opinion.

8. Tenacious D

Un, will civil penalties reduce those who are not citizens of the United States from crossing our border, or not, in your opinion?

Why are the current immigration laws in any way insufficient, errant or otherwise less than perfectly reflective of the will of the People, as introduced and passed into law by our representative government?

If you want something else besides the laws we currently have, why not simply remove or change those laws via the legislative process?

In your opinion, what created and have been the primary motivators for this crisis?

To be clear, I think that if you don’t like the law, you should get the votes to change it. I also believe that the current crisis is a direct, natural and logical result of our ignoring these laws for decades - in not preventing their crossing, in not punishing and returning those who we apprehend, in ultimately allowing them to stay, and in providing every benefit and aide to help them do so has only incentivized millions more to do so. And Democratic promises that they would be given a path to citizenship has only further incentivized more illegal immigrants to also come and cross.

9. Tenacious D

We can talk about this elsewhere, or later, but IMO the war on drugs didn’t work because we only doled out those “draconian punishments” to one side - the dealers and street peddlers.

China once had an opium problem, and they didn’t beat it by legalizing opium, I assure you.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Do you own your body? If the answer is yes and not society, why the hell can’t you put whatever substance you want in your body.

If the answer is no, then let’s just drop that freedom bullshit.

I don’t give a shit what an oppressive dictatorship did in China either.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

and this is precisely what the issue is with illegal immigration. if people were not hiring them, there would be no point in coming in off the books. yet we are, indeed we are even dependent on them in some ways. there's where a lasting solution lies.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

you don't if you're a woman apparently

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I believe a woman can have an abortion up to a certain point. I disagree with it but that’s her choice.

I also believe at a certain point the fetus becomes a human and deserves the same rights.

kmf600 and Unimane like this.
  14. Tenacious D

Is your argument predicated on the belief that drugs only impact the user? Is that your angle?

Do you own your own body? Depends.
    Can you check your body out of prison?
    Can you avoid seatbelt laws because it’s your body?
    If I tell you it’s ok to murder me, and you do, will my giving consent be a viable defense? Should it be?
    Can your body be married to two people at once?
    Their are literally thousands of things that you can’t do with your body, now, and shouldn’t be allowed to do.

If individuals can put anything into their bodies, can corporations also put things in, too?

How many untenable positions do you want to assume, here, before we end up in a compound in Idaho, wearing funny hats?

15. Tenacious D

Says who, you?

Why can’t a woman abort her baby on the day before delivery and eat it in a stew?

Doesn’t she own her body, or are there limits to that, and what she can do with it?

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Damn this fall come to the farm to help me build some straw men.

Yes everything we do has a societal cost, but if you agree that society is higher then the individual. You're not going to be very free and I'd argue not very safe over the long term.

I think you should be allowed to end your life on your terms, if you so wish.

Why shouldn't three consenting adults be allowed to enter a legal contract?

Corporations are built up of people, so sure they can put anything in their bodies they wish if their employer allows it but it shouldn't matter to the state.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

if the society always comes second, it will not survive and the number of individuals possible will shrink. we couldn't be posting on a forum with out countless miles of imminent domain and billions in taxes and infrastructure.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I totally disagree.

I’m not against taxes or general welfare, but it starts at the individual level and works up.

I think our worst comes out with our tribalism when you think about society first as we can justify horrible actions that way.

Like our country has nonviolent people in prison for using and selling a [uck fay]ing weed.

But think of the children and families we saved as a society from that evil so we can justify it and it just becomes acceptable

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't see that as being due to society first. I see it as exactly the opposite. Prison as a punitive measure is in itself anti-social.

20. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I ... I also will do this.

cpninja likes this.