Apparently, We Exceeded Expectations.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Unimane, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Go to 2:20 of the video.

[video=youtube;Gvqayf5Ww78]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gvqayf5Ww78[/video]

2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

:butchspeak

3. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I do recall Jesse Palmer saying during media days that the only guaranteed win on Tennessee's schedule was Chat. That might be what he is referring to.

4. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

5. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Palmer and a few others weren't giving us much of a chance to do anything this year.

6. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

I'm pretty sure I heard just about every prognosticator say that this was a 5-6 win football team. I said 7...because I thought this staff could outsmart the worst HC in the last three decades at Florida but that was, admittedly, with a small bit of orange colored bias.

The seasons over and we're practicing for a bowl game. That makes me happy, in and of itself. Someone earlier, maybe it was Unimane, said they felt somewhat indifferent about the overall results of the season and I agree.

I spent the better part of the fourth quarter traveling back from the in-laws, allowing my two small girls to watch Frozen with the car's speakers, instead of listening to the game. I was so sure that we were going to shit the bed, I could not listen to it and keep my sanity.

After the game was over, I was about as indifferent to a win as I have ever been. We should have whipped VU like a rented mule yesterday.

I'll grant you that injuries and suspensions played a significant role but...damn. That was almost identical to the shit show we all witnessed in Knoxville last year. If there was any semblance of competence on Vanderbilt's sideline, we would have lost that game.

It's a win. An ugly win. I'm not celebrating but I'm not [itch bay]ing (much) either...

I'm happy to be bowling but...the only thing that exceeded my expectations this year was the defense and the fact that we FINALLY have a pass rush again.

7. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

That's true. 21 sacks between Maggit and Barnett. Hendrix played a snap or two yesterday as well.

8. syndicate

syndicate Well-Known Member

Is that the press conference where butch was saying we were only picked to win 2-4 games? If so, unless he was talking about sec wins only then **** him.

9. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

We exceeded Butch's expectations, only because he was planning on throwing away the season with Worley behind center all year.

10. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Vegas had us at 5.5 wins. so we did exceed expectations.

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Vegas didn't know just how sorry the East was. They had SCe and UGA as world beaters and expected UF to be good. Had they known that those three teams utterly sucked, we'd have looked different, except that we sucked too.

I don't care what we call expectations, but when they get to the point that we expect to win OOC laughers and Vandy / KY, we have problems at the helm.

12. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

When did a number created to get equal play on each side come to constitute expectations?

13. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Well, that's pretty much the mathematical/economics definition of expectations.

Whether that should be (normative statement) what Tennessee expects from the HC they employ is another matter.

14. hatvol96

So, our view of the world should be set by others? Interesting.

15. hatvol96

The fact that the perceptions of people who couldn't give a damn less about UT football play into that number makes it something other than a legit expectation.

16. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I guess the devil's in the definition. But I agree with your larger point.

17. hatvol96

It is. If our fanbase ever chooses 5.5 as an expectation, we should just dump football for lacrosse.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

i expect to be at a point where we expect more. i just don't think that point is now. kill me.

19. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

[video=youtube;kaZjGKdbGBQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaZjGKdbGBQ[/video]

20. hatvol96

I don't necessarily have a problem with that this year, except for the fact Florida was fried shit and we handed them a win.