Are you going to watch The Hatfields and McCoy's on the History Channel?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Oldvol75, May 25, 2012.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Well, I hate Colt McCoy.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Thanks. Would like to hear more stuff about the feud from you. I have some issues with a doctor named McCoy.

Also, you have any connections to the Matewan War?

3. hatvol96

It's actually become a financial boon for the descendants still living in the area. It's become a huge tourism draw. They occasionally have "reunions," which draw huge crowds. It's almost as if the world has forgotten that the feud wasn't some Paul Bunyan tale, but a real American tragedy.

4. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Is he an actual member of the family? Or is it just part of your hate for Texas?

5. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Hat, I know you said your family won the feud? What exactly did you mean by that? Unless you're referring to the body count. I've been researching this feud while watching this series, and I never really got the sense that they were fighting for something where someone could be considered the winner.

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  6. faildozer

faildozer Member

Is this a serious question?

7. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I was being serious. Am I missing something obvious?

8. hatvol96

Sid Hatfield always claimed to have been of the Tug Fork lineage. Some dispute that, but it seems to have a basis in truth.

9. hatvol96

At the end of the day, Devil Anse Hatfield lived
    out the end of his life as a reasonably contented man. Randall McCoy, on the other hand, spent his final years as a broken down drunk.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

The best revenge, right there

11. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

We had to read the book in 7th grade because it happened just two counties over. I remember liking it. How was part 1 of the movie? It's on my DVR.

12. kidbourbon

Damn...it appears everybody and their [dadgum] cousin has written a Hatfield / McCoy book. I think we read the one written by Otis Rice. I remember it being pretty short, so that's probably right (160 pages).

13. kidbourbon

If anyone is further interested in WV history, the movie "Matewan" is excellent.

14. kidbourbon

The Hatfield's lived in Mingo County. I grew up in Mercer County. In between those two counties lies McDowell County. For over a century -- and maybe even currently -- McDowell County led the US in coal production. So now you're thinking: oh man, McDowell County must be crazy affluent! Haha. Let me tell you about how much of a shithole McDowell county is. When I was in Junior High, my church youth director took a group of us to McDowell county for a week on a mission trip to repair porches and shit. A [uck fay]ing mission trip to the adjacent county! The tap water was one of the most foul things I've ever smelled. It literally smelled like rotten eggs. You'd take a shower, and the entire house would reak of rotten eggs. You had to boil it to drink it. And there was a sign out in front of the only gas station in town (we were in Anawalt) that said "we now have gas". Not sure what they did before.

McDowell County is literally like a third world country. You think you're in [uck fay]ing post-earthquake Haiti. There are apparently poorer counties in the US -- most of them are either Indian reservations or Alaska counties, though -- but I don't think there is a county in America that more closely resembles a third world country. I guess this is what happens when the coal industry just immediately goes to shit and this was the sole economic basis for the county.

This is actually a good wiki article: McDowell County, West Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

15. kidbourbon

Micropolitan, [itch bay]es! Bluefield micropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A rich man's NYC, [itch bay]es!
    Bluefield, West Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Understatement of the decade. Bwahahaha.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  16. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

My college roommate at ETSU was from Bluefield. I never saw the need to go back more than once.

17. kidbourbon

It's a dying town. But apparently it used to be quite cosmopolitan.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is news to me. That's fascinating and bizarre.

19. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

It's dead. I don't know what they have.

20. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

After watching the entire series it was pretty intriguing.

I kept asking myself periodically, How did it get this far?

Im not sure exactly how true to the actually story it really is, and some of the truth may have been lost with those that died, but here are some thoughts.

1. The story leads one to believe that Anse Hatfield and Randall McCoy could have pulled the plug on this whole deal very early but didn't.
    2. Cline was a instigating snake.
    3. Phillips was ruthless.
    4. The wives of Randall and Anse appeared to be pretty decent people that just got caught up in the mess.
    5. You feel sorry for the kids that died and even the ones that lived through this.