Assistant Coaches Thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tar Volon, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Update: Chris Low reports that Pruitt is targeting McClendon as WR coach.

Rumph and Rocker seem all but official, but I haven't heard confirmation yet, so I'll keep them in reported.

2. Tar Volon

Fair. And I guess the question is how much of that was on Helton. I'm definitely a bit nervous about him as our OC

3. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

So adding three guys that currently have a co-OC title?

4. Tar Volon

Didn't realize he did too. But yeah, it looks like that's the idea. I wonder how they'll work together and how responsibilities will be divided.

5. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

Bryan McClendon?

6. Tar Volon

That's the one. No word on what our chances are with him, but Low listed him among the targets (along with Fair, Friend, Rumph, Rocker, etc)

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

[uck fay] it, we'll have 4 offensive coordinators, whichever one has the best gameplan gets to call plays that week

8. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Volquest calling Rumph and Rocker done. They don't exactly go out on limbs.

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[​IMG]

10SEvols and snoball5278 like this.
  10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

A lot of the Co-OC and "running game coordinator" and "passing game coordinators" titles are for raises and don't actually mean much

11. Tar Volon

They also have Helton listed as the OC, which I weirdly haven't seen confirmed elsewhere (most others say "QBs and then who knows")

12. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

Losing Soloman to Michigan was the final straw. Got in an argument with his mom over something. I think a year off was good for him

13. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

I think as long as Gillespie sees eye to eye on things he’ll be the RB coach. He worked for Butch and never complained. He has to be happy working for a football guy

14. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

15. Orangegrass

Orangegrass Member

Wish he would hire a solid, experienced OC, one who has had experience at calling plays. The defense will be in good hands.

TDVol1989, spurgeon and 10SEvols like this.
  16. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

why 2 DL coaches?

17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I do not believe there is any chance that Weinke will be co-offensive coordinator. Not sure why he put that there.

18. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Won’t be. Will probably have two LB coaches, assuming we move to 3-4.

19. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

interesting to see what he does. Assume 3-4 but sounds like he'd stick with 4-3 if it suited the team better. I'm not sure about this front 7. DL plays soft and lbs are late to the holes. That's all I know.

20. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

I think a lot of the problem with our LBs is coaching. They don’t understand run fits at all. Maybe they’re just not good enough but I don’t think that’s the case.