Attrition

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tar Volon, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I think it's safe to say the majority is against Jones at this point, but I see a number of people still arguing that lack of depth is our problem. Never mind for now the fact that our offense falls off a cliff at halftime at not in the fourth quarter, which indicates that it isn't a depth issue, I am just curious if anyone has a list of players who signed with Jones but either never made it to campus or have been kicked off the team or transferred out. Because I'm pretty sure some of the thin positions are more related to attrition than holdover problems from Dooley (with OL possibly being one exception). I know we've lost at least four on the DL (Henderson, Sawyers, Miller, Hendrix) and three RBs (Lee, Paulk, Scott). But it would be handy to have a list to reference whenever this discussion comes up.

Also, in looking at this, I realized that we have four Jones-recruited sophomore scholarship linebackers on the team and not a single one of them cracked the two-deep at the beginning of this season. They were stuck behind three Dooley-holdovers, two freshmen, and a walk-on. That's not necessarily news, it's just something I hadn't noticed in all the mess.

(I know y'all are probably going to come with the "why does it matter, Jones sucks/is on his way out." But I like to have facts at hand, even if they aren't strictly necessary).

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Helms and Oliver are two tight ends he signed that aren't here

3. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

Butch continues to dig deeper...

Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247 10m10 minutes ago
    #Vols’ newest practice trick — I’m not making this up — is putting injured players in different jersey numbers when they have to wear green.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think Woody Quinn left, too. Haven't heard anything about AJ Branisel in forever.

5. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

It won't matter if Gruden comes. Anyone who puts forth effort will recruit top 10 classes easily, if not top 5. I don't think there are many coaches in America who will outcoach a guy who still wakes up at 323 every morning to break down film while not even being a coach. Please let this happen this time. I see it as no coincidence that Gruden stated his dream job pre-season. My gut tells me this is going to happen.

6. Tar Volon

Brainsel is gone. Did Quinn leave or graduate? I was thinking he was a JUCO or transfer or something?

7. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Vic Wharton went from his best recruiter to on his way out.

8. Tmac61

Tmac61 Has Credentials- Walter Effin Cronkite

The attrition in the past year should have raised more eyebrows than it did. You'll never build depth replacing freshman with freshman.

At this point, even thinking about Lyle Jones pisses me off. Everything about him makes me as angry as he looks.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Quinn ran out of eligibility.

Good call on Bransiel

10. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Can we count Dillon Bates as having left since we never see him?

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Ryan Jenkins is gone. He and Wharton probably would have been decent if healthy.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

dooley-esque

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Jenkins had "chronic knee issues". He had issues with them in high school too. I'm not sure he's playing anywhere.

But, Wharton leaving didn't really make sense. I think that was a recruiting promise broken

14. Tar Volon

Good stuff. We gotta see if we can do this by position.

QB: nobody (unless Ferguson was a Jones signee--I know Dooley had recruited him)

RB: Lee, Paulk, Scott. Anybody else?

WR: Jenkins, Wharton, Bruce. . .

TE: Branisel, Helm, Oliver

OL: ?

DL: Henderson, Sawyers, Hendrix, Miller

LB: ?

DB: Payne

There's gotta be more.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Ferguson originally committed to Dools, but signed with Jones. I know the walk-on Wegzyn QB left the team with another year of eligibility and wasn't very happy with Jones.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Joc Bruce.

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

What caused the attrition?

Does UTs attrition resemble other programs?

Who recruited most of the wash oouts?

My second question is the one I am most interested in, and they are true questions as I don't know.

18. Tar Volon

I am also interested in the answer to the second question.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Butch has done a good job of removing some noncontributors that were occupy scholarship space. Many of them graduated early.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Attrition isn't terrible. It's probably a little better than most