Auburn play by play announcer killed in car accident

Discussion in 'Sports' started by bostonvol, May 26, 2019.

1. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Damn, that sucks. Bet the kid was on his phone.

3. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Barkley mentioned it on TV yesterday. Announcer was in critical condition at that time. Awful to hear.

4. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

He gracefully replaced replaced a legend and loved his school as much as someone possibly can. And for me, because Fyffe was before my time, every awesome memory I have of Auburn athletics was narrated by Bramblett. I hate it so much but especially because their kids are still in school.

Also something I learned is that he spent a little time in our neck of the woods calling Morristown-West games.

Tenacious D likes this.
  5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Terrible tragedy.

Not to be morbid, but how fast does that kid have to be going to kill two people by rear-ending their 2017 Toyota Highlander, assuming both were buckled in / no airbag malfunctioning?

6. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

I thought that would be the case as well, but It looks like he wasn’t on his phone.
    https://www.al.com/auburn/2019/05/a...rash-that-killed-paula-and-rod-bramblett.html

Auburn police have ruled out the use of a phone as a contributing factor in the cause of a crash that killed Auburn broadcaster Rod Bramblett and his wife Paula on Saturday evening.

Police also noted that alcohol was not a contributing factor, though that had been announced almost immediately on Saturday night.

“Although additional information is being examined,” the police statement said, “the preliminary investigation has not determined that alcohol or distractive phone usage was a contributing factor.”

7. RockyHill

I’m not going to guess what happened but I lived right near that intersection all of college and it’s hard for me to imagine what possibly could have happened if the driver wasn’t somehow distracted. Based on what I’ve heard the kid was absolutely flying for that road though.

8. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

9. RockyHill

Kid has been charged as an adult, had weed in his system. Gonna be a really messy deal.

10. Tenacious D

RH, an acquaintance of mine is a medium booster at Barn and an attorney in Opelika....he told me that the kid is from a very wealthy family, something or other about their owning a large chain of Auburn fab shops, and who is a large booster to the school. He said that this is why you haven’t seen his name out as of yet, or widely distributed.

Do you know anything about that?

Also, with marijuana in his system, I believe the assumption becomes that the illicit substance did contribute to the accident, and the onus shifts to him to prove that it didn’t....but I’m not certain.

11. RockyHill

Yeah that first paragraph is consistent with what I’d heard from Auburn folks but it seems people were being fairly tight lipped about it by Auburn standards so I didn’t really know if that was true or not.

12. Tenacious D

Rumor has it that this acquaintance of mine has been informally vetting / meeting a list of potential replacements for Gus, if he slips this year. He might have also helped renegotiate his buyout, however tangentially.

13. RockyHill

Lord, Auburn’s a mess. I wonder if you’re buddy is doing this on behalf of / with the knowledge of the people who would actually fire Gus. There’s absolutely a faction that thought they had the juice to get him fired last year, they were wrong.

14. Tenacious D

I honestly have no idea, RH. I’ve known the guy professionally for 20+ years, and he’s been a standup guy in that capacity. He has a box at Jordan-Hare, and had the endorsement of several large boosters when he ran for a judicial seat several years ago (despite a gigantic lead, he ended up withdrawing when his wife’s health took a scary turn...and winning would have been a bigger pay cut than he expected) so I think he’s legit connected, at some level.

I do believe that he has joined several others from Auburn in “having dinner” or “going hunting” or “taking a trip” with coaches who he and others feel could be legitimate candidates for the Barn job, were it ever to come open. Now, how organized or closely affiliated his efforts are to the AD’s, is anyone’s guess. I don’t think he dislikes Gus, at all, but he and his friends define every coach by their most recent W/L record, and little else.

I certainly don’t mean to tell you what he’s doing, much less how, when or why he’s doing it. He invited me to the game with Tennessee last season, and I regrettably declined, seeing little reason to believe that I wouldn’t have embarrassed him in being sent to jail, and whether Tennessee won or lost.

He knows how thoroughly I hate Auburn, so I’m sure he doesn’t tell me everything, all of the time.