Backpacking

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by VOLFREAK11, Nov 30, 2011.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Yea, he'll probably have some then. The date might be a smidge off. I have a ton in my attic from circa 2006. I personally wouldn't buy any from an Army/Navy supply store. They tend to be old cases.

2. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

Something I've been doing to start getting ready for the pushups is whenever I'm watching tv I do 10-20 during every commercial break

3. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

I'm not worried about the date, our bodies typically can handle well past the expiration date of anything.

4. fl0at_

I tried to get cute with the culinary side once, and mixed the jelly in with the beefsteak to sweeten it up. Horrid. Worst thing I've ever eaten. I can still remember the taste. Horrid.

I liked the Jamaican pork chop. I also liked the Jambalaya, but I think it is discontinued now. The Chili Mac wasn't awful, but I never wasted my time heating it up. When the fargin' blind women stopped putting chocolate milkshakes in the Spaghetti, I gave up on life. I used to mix a pack of sugar, chocolate milk shake and about two coffee packets and chug it. Wasn't the same with the strawberry.

5. fl0at_

By that logic just pack water. Your body can survive 3 days without food...

6. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

Yeah I could survive but I'm not going to make myself miserable and completely kill my body. I wish I could bring a fishing rod to fish with but the only rods I have at school are my tournament rods.

7. fl0at_

You are talking about willfully eating MREs, maybe even past shelf life, on a 3 day hump, voluntarily. Your life is already miserable.

I'd honestly just pack powerbars and as many tuna packets and crackers as you feel you'll need, and maybe a Vienna sausage can or two. If you really want a MRE, knock yourself out. They aren't bad, and they'll give you the calories, but I'd supplement them with something else. You'll have plenty of time to eat MREs in the future.

They will also make you shit, so pack TP.

8. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

I mean I wasn't meaning I want to eat them past their date just saying our body can handle alot. I don't know I've got a whole box of Clif bars and pb crackers going along too.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Do not try to warm them up if they freeze. I made that mistake in a duck blind and got a floating pink grease spot.

10. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

This is the kind of stuff I used for lunch and dinner: Bacon & Cheddar Mashed Potatoes by Backpackers Pantry.

It doesn't taste the greatest but is light and doesn't take up much space. The breakfast bars are fine since they're light. Also, pack some water purification tablets so your not hiking with the additional water weight. That will get old quick. You do need a stove of some sort to cook on (which means you need a small metal cup/pan to cook with). Don't forget a utensil to stir shit with and eat with. If you're doing laundry, save your lint from the dryer and put it in a plastic bag or something. It's lightweight and makes excellent fire starter.

11. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

If you are going freeze dried, the Mountain House beef stroganoff isn't bad. I thought it tasted pretty good, it is easy to make, and it didn't ruin my stomach.

I didn't like anything that had cheese, tomato, or eggs in it.

12. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

I got two MRE's from my recruiter. One is a meatball one and the other is beef ravioli

13. fl0at_

I loved those two MREs...

14. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

He said he didn't pick them out, he said he walked down and asked someone to hand him a couple and thats what they gave him. Thankfully the weather is gonna warm up a tad, should be in the 60's during the day and high 30's at night.

15. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

just got back. We hiked 12 miles, 8 on Saturday and 4 this morning. Had a great time and look forward to doing it again. We had one [ussy pay] for a guy on the trip who had our professor back his 30+ lb bag because he got a blister on his foot and it hurt, he didn't even finish all 12 miles, [uck fay]ing pathetic.

16. fl0at_

fyp

17. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

lulz I honestly would be embarrased if I was him, the guy is 22 and did that. My dad would have whipped my ass if he knew I did something like that. Guys like him is exactly what is wrong with America.

18. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I bet he's the type of guy who will complain about his grade in the class too, as if he was in no way culpable.

19. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

I'm sure he'll get an A but he should get a D just for not strapping his boots back on and toting his own shit all the way through. The bad thing was, he got his girlfriend to take the class with him and she finished.