Bama gonna get a chance to win the NC without the SEC west crown

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Beechervol, Nov 20, 2011.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That's the only way to get 3 in. BCS is obligated to put top 2 BCS teams into the championship and all BCS conference champs into BCS games.

2. tripper

tripper Member

Looking at the BCS numbers, I dont think OSU and VA Tech can pass LSU even if UGA beats them in SECCG. Crazy.

3. volinbham

volinbham Member

So what happens if Bama beats LSU by 3? I know Bama will be crowned BCSNC but damn they wouldn't have won the division or conference and were even with LSU in record.

4. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

Mike and Mike had a guy on that basically said that this morning. Said that OSU was the only team that had a shot of getting in there.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Honestly, I like Bama's odds. Bama played well enough to win the first time and I'd hate to have to try and beat Saban twice in the same season. It is in New Orleans, though. But shoot, that isn't that far from Bama, especially considering the magnitude of the game. It wouldn't be a 90% LSU crowd or anything.

It sucks that it's gotten to this. I honestly think the best thing would be to scrap the BCS this year, and go back to old conference alignments for the bowl games. LSU plays and beats whatever chump normally gets the other Sugar Bowl slot and wins the title outright just like they would have done prior to '98.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I guess if Okie State beats the Sooners by 50 it might happen.

7. volinbham

volinbham Member

I agree - I found bowl games much more compelling when it was the final combo of winners that determined the MNC. The biggest problem was bowl bids going out in early Nov based on who you wanted rather than who deserved it.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

certainly appears that way. at least on the defensive side of the ball there is no one anywhere close. i do think that an oklahoma state or oklahoma would probably give them a game, but at this point i have no real problems with a rematch.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I like the BCS Championship most years. In 2005 it would have sucked to see USC murder some jabroni from the Big 10 while Texas sat there undefeated.

10. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Thread has degraded into all kinds of dumb if we're really longing for the old bowl system.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'd take it if the alternative is a LSU-Bama rematch.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

reseed after the bowls. boom.

13. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Not saying it's right if it were to go down that way, but I believe LSU and Bama to be the top 2 teams in the country. I have no problem with them both being in the championship game if they win out.

14. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I think Bama and LSU are the top two teams in the country and I want to see them go at it again. I'm not opposed to rematches. You get them in the NFL, march madness, mlb, and nba....don't see why they're so taboo in college football.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

because all of those other sports have a legit playoff system. it looks like bama and lsu are by far the two best teams in the country, but we don't know for sure. after all the losses it makes a rematch more acceptable, but it should be a worst case situation.

16. tripper

tripper Member

Honestly, I think this a fun discussion but I believe LSU takes care of business and finishes 13-0 and plays Bama.

17. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I do think it's unfair that LSU has to play Georgia, while Bama gets a bye. Something about that is just [uck fay]ed up.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

seems silly, but an sec title isn't anything to be disregarded.

19. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I agree with that. I'd rather be in LSU's position right now.

20. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

I'm not that thrilled about a rematch. I just don't see why it would be better to stick them against random teams that aren't as good.