Banned

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by tripper, May 5, 2012.

1. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

Welcome. I'm sure TenD and Hat are torn up about you using their names to tweak VN .. :)

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Glad to have you Tripper. You can name all the forums you'd like over here.

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

My understanding of that situation is that she didn't care for the general opinion the 8th has on the direction of our program under Dooley and asked to have her account deleted. Which is fine. If you are easily offended by people with differing opinions that can intelligently support their stance, this place isn't for you. I can't argue intelligently. I'm just not easily offended. She's not the only one that has left over the majority opinion of Dooley here. No big deal to me really. Count Volcula was here for a while. I think he is an ok dude; he just didn't care for the Dooley bashing. It's a shame. I do miss his meteorological insight. He did some work in the Severe Weather thread, imo.

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yes, don't be mean to me. I can't handle it and will probably start crying.

5. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

See, I wouldn't even characterize the site as anti-Dooley. The 8th just doesn't pull punches. If you like Dooley, or Bruce, or Charles Woodson, or David Palmer... that's fine. Just be prepared for someone to call you out if they think you're wrong. It's not like we sit here and throw around high-fives because we've signed some kind of anti-Dooley pact. I think we all try to just call it like we see it... and unfortunately we saw some bad football last year. If Dooley steamrolls through the season I couldn't be happier for him, the Vols, and all of the Big Orange.

TennTradition likes this.
  6. JayVols

Neither would I. We are anti-anyone that would be in over their head in trying to run UT's Football Program.

I didn't mean it the way you took it. I was trying to say that based on what we know about Dooley, the majority, not all, on the 8th thinks that he sucks. Nothing personal against the man; he's just not qualified for the job.

I probably did a poor job of articulating what I was trying to express.

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  7. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

All good Jay.

8. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Welcome. Their loss is our gain.

9. tripper

tripper Member

The problem I have with Dooley is not only the product I see on the field but how he carries himself off the field. People in Knoxville that have had interactions with him (workers in the AD, Dept. heads, construction execs, parents which his kids go to school with. etc...) generally feel he's a pompous, elitist [Penis]. Which is fine as long as you are winning games. But he's not. Now, you can't share that info on TOOS without some douche with less than a 100 posts proclaiming your going to my "ignore list" like it's some badge of honor or someone posting a stupid ass gif. There's zero substance on that board and the mods have effectively shut down all avenues for good dialouge.

10. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

lolz .. the interwebz .. srs business.

^I've heard similar stories. He apparently has his nose in everything, no matter how remotely it relates to winning on the field. Heard one story about him letting a brick mason have it about something he was doing wrong on the construction site ......

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I always kind of got that elitist vibe from Dooley, too. He's as much as said that no one knows anything about the football team but him. Now I get that I clearly do not and cannot know as much as a UT coach, but I watch the damn games with a good set of young eyes. We are perfectly capable of making observations and criticisms despite what he wants to say to further dismiss any recognition of his sucking. Anyway, always kind of thought it was funny he gets some credit for being down to earth or a good ole boy or whatever, when everyone that interacts with him personally has exactly the opposite opinion.

12. tripper

tripper Member

And Saban, Muschamp, Spurrier and everyone else in the SEC is perpetuating this belief because they do not want to see him canned. Now, I want us to do well this season but I have zero confidence that Dooley is capable of a successful season. Rocky Goode who reffed the last scrimmage game before the O/W game told me we had 19 offensive penalties, 19!

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Dude. Our OL only has like 100 starts. And we have third year starters at every position. Your expectations aren't realistic.

14. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

What was Mike Hamilton's basis for hiring this guy? He was the anti-Kiffin. Hamilton forgot one thing though. Regardless of personality you have to be able to coach. Only a small factor that Hamilton overlooked.

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  15. JayVols

Dooley's game management has been horrendous. No need to think that will change. We have had perpetual false starts/delay of game/forced to call untimely timeouts in critical 3rd and 4th and short situations. It's ridiculous how badly he manages a game. We are one of the most undisciplined teams that I have seen on the field. That's not important though. The VFL program has improved off-field discipline the Dooley slurpers would say. Call me crazy, but Dools might want to put a little more emphasis on some field/game situation discipline instead of grooming a bunch of chior boys off the field. I guess he just needs more time to teach a snap count and play clock management. Thinking 3 years to teach those Herculean tasks is so unreasonable for a nega like me given the dumpster fire he inherited.

16. tripper

tripper Member

And that is what Kiffin gave us in 1 year. A well managed, good play called game without the undisciplined penalties. He made his mistakes but he has a become a solid coach. But as a pumper, we had a tremendous roster in 2009.

17. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I think he let Will MUschamp make the hire for him. It really sucks knowing that Kevin Sumlin wanted the job too and they decided on Dooley instead.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Jay and others with experience coaching football at the high school level: if you had to put some sort of measurement or grade on it, how bad is the mismanagement on the UT sideline? I don't just mean the severity of some of the issues (obviously the LSU game is borderline criminal mismanagement), but also the frequency?

I am not sure that we have MORE issues than some other teams, but we certainly have more than Alabama by a wide margin. I think the worst element of it is the TIMING. It seems like every time we got some momentum in an undecided game, we would have to call a timeout or make a bonehead mistake, terrible play call, etc.

And I am not one to call every play that doesn't work "terrible." I mean strategically questionable. Like, the MOF has been open all day and we try to run a sweep on 3rd and 8.

19. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Your all wrong! Dooley will win and win big! ;)

And welcome Tripper!

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'd be okay with being wrong on this, as well as a few other checkboard-related topics. Things I wouldn't mind being found to be wrong on:

Dooley
    religion
    a loving god
    Zimmerman/Martin case
    never having a chance with KB's avatar.