Banned

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by tripper, May 5, 2012.

1. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

OV, what convinces you that Dooley will win big? I would have to respect your opinion since you are former player.

2. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

No seniors, no experience imo.

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

IP, the field management aspect that gets me the most is when these issues occur. They happen at critical times such as 3rd/4th and short. Many would say this is where the youth comes in to play. I would say that is may play a part, but it is a minimal part, imo. The offense has 2 responsibilities leaving the huddle- 1. Play 2. Count. That's the same on all levels. If it is a hurry-up situation with a silent count, it's even more inexcusable because they don't even have a count to remember- the linemen are next to center, the WR are looking in at the ball, and the backfield has everything in front of them- no excuses. Play-Count. Play-Count. It's not Rhodes Scholar level stuff.

The Delay Penalties are 98% on the staff, imo. Youth is no excuse here either. In fact, it makes the staff look worse. As a staff, it is your job to mitigate the impact of youth by getting the plays in quickly. Not doing so is inviting disaster in one of the situations that a staff has a great deal of control over. Don't get me started on us burning TO's coming out of a commercial break, change of possession, injury TO, or any other extended dead ball situation. No excuse for that to happen even once, yet it happened more than once last year.

All these issues are related to mental toughness. We have had none with the exception of the Vandy game last year, and I'm not convinced that luck was as much a factor in that situation as mental toughness. Think about it. How many games have we pulled out in the 4th quarter under Dooley? How many times have we recovered from a crutial turnover? How many games have we let slip through our fingers late in the game? How many times have we bowed our necks for a big stop compared to folding our tents when we experience adversity? The vast majority of games we have won, we have had comfortable leads. This is indicative of no mental toughness. To adderss the issue, you can't wait on Spring or Fall practice. You must focus on it all year. I'm sure it's mentioned. I am not convinced a commitment to the level needed to fix the problem has been made by the staff. 19 penalties in a scrimmage with a veteran line tells me they STILL haven't figured it out.

4. JayVols

That was typed while riding in the car with my wife who can'drive for shit. Hope it makes sense.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Thanks Jay, it makes total sense.

So all that being said, what are the odds of Dooley improving this element of his coaching going into this season?

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Not a coaching guru, but when you hear all this stuff about him being an elitist know-it-all you have to question how much desire there is to learn and develop.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I believe the know it all elitist attitude comes from not having a system or specialty. I coached with a guy that was in a position of power but didn't know shit. He'd get upset and mad during game planning when any questions were asked and would handcuff you into mixing ineffective systems together.

8. JayVols

Been there, done that. A "defensive guru" I worked with one year only, thankfully. He was the most panicky coach I have been around. Anytime he got in trouble, his solution was to blitz his outside LBs in his 4-4. Not once did I hear him say that if an RB crossed an ILBs face on any back out route that the ILB had to pick him up. He left them in the hook/curl zone no matter what. He did a bunch of other stupid shit, but I don't have time to write a book. He would listen to no one. I mentioned, " defensive guru" earlier because that's what he called himself. He was the most arrogant, egotistical, god-awful, and ignorant D coord I ever worked with. After I realized the stupid SOB wouldn't listen to anyone, I just started screwing with him heavily. I would highlight everything his ridiculous schemes would get annihilated by. It became a game. I would leave every meeting laughing my ass off while he left every one fuming. It was awesome. The guy walked out on the team after one game because I made a call to the HC from the booth to take a player out that was hurt, but he had refused to get him out. He wasn't allowed back after he called to apologize. I'm not talking about a rookie coach either. He had coached for over 30 years, and he made sure everyone knew that, too.

Kpt made a great point. Dooley's arrogance reminds me of this guy. You will NEVER be a good coach if you think you are infallable. You have to be willing to recognize your mistakes and be willing to listen to other coaches. I get the impression that Dools think he is always the smartest guy in the room no matter who is present. If that's true, that would make him the most ignorant person in any room he was in.

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

You guys are just haters.

Dooley is the best coach to ever coach at UT. The General would be lucky to even be able to have an elementary football conversation with him.

10. JayVols

You're right about one thing: I hate the [Penis].

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I personally hope the guy wins a national title this year. Heck, he can run off 5 in a row for all I care. I'd be giddy.

Then again, I think that the end of the world has a better chance of happening on December 21 that I do him winning a title.

12. JayVols

Don't get me wrong, I hope he wins 4-5 national titles for the sake of the football team I love.

He will gain my support if he can turn us around, but even then I don't think I would like him. I get the impression that he is an elitist [Penis]. I hate elitist pricks.

13. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

They used to say the same thing about John Deutch when he was at the Pentagon and at the CIA. The problem was, it was true....and he knew it. I took a class from the guy, and boy did he ever know it.

14. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Clean out your inbox Jay

15. JayVols

Done.

16. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

If he wins titles, I wouldn't care if he was the biggest ass hole in the world; I'd still like him. Lane Kiffin's a huge [Penis] and most all of us liked him. I understand not liking Dooley because we suck; I don't understand still hating him if we were winning titles when you liked Lane Kiffin.

17. JayVols

Easy. Kiffin was a [Penis] to our opposition. Dooley is a [Penis] to everyone.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

In other words, when it's nut cutting time, Dooley folds.

Teams take on the personality of the head coach.

19. JayVols

Your version is kinda anti-climatic, but yes.

Video evidence of Dooley's inability to react calmly under pressure. It's a carbon copy of how our team has reacted at "nut-cuttin'" time the previous two years (as groves eloquently stated). (I warn you that I will probably use this often):

[​IMG]

AMIRITE?

Damn skippy I am!

20. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Ehh. I doubt Kiffin was Mr. Personality to everyone.