Barry Sanders

Discussion in 'Sports' started by The Dooz, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

You misspelled "Bill Clinton".

Hey-O!

2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I would counter that with his 5.0 ypa.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

as I've suggested. if you are an OC do you want the guy who goes:

4, 6, 3, 7

or the guy who goes

-5, 20, -3, 8

I'm guessing most OCs would pick #1.

once again when talking about who is the GOAT.

4. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I think you have to weigh all the criteria when you consider best ever.

We didn't compare how he stacks up to others, but Barry, over his career, averaged:

1500 per season
    100 per game
    .75 TDs per game

He also carried the ball just over 3000 times and fumbled 41 times. Total. Of those 41 fumbles he lost 13. 13 fumbles in ten years. Like I said, I don't where that stacks up, but that pretty [dadgum] impressive.

That's just a few of things we looked at to draw our conclusion.

5. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Does it matter if he's posting the stats I mentioned above per season?

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

jim brown averaged 5.2 yards per carry, 104.3 yards per game, .90 tds a game, and 1400 yards a season despite playing fewer games a season.

7. dknash

dknash Chieftain

OJ averages 2.1 Class B felonies per year.

#GOAT

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Off topic, but did he ever find out who really killed his ex-wife? I know he was searching high and low.

9. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I'm with Huffman on Jim Brown.

No doubt Barry faced the stiffer competition. And his team was shit.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

his teams made the playoffs 5 times. I don't remember jim brown being surrounded by hall of famers either.

11. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Yes it is. By any standard.

He was / is fun to watch. An amazing player. And when finally he grew tired of the culture of losing he ended it on his terms, I respect that.

SN: Less than 1,500 yds which easily he could have achieved and then some but he declined and I too respect his gesture to Payton.

12. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Yes, every time he gazes upon his reflection or peers into a mirror

13. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Arian Foster best RB ever.

VFL

14. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

If I need one yard for my life, give the ball to a healthy Earl Campbell.

And I know that isn't what the OP question is about.

15. MWR

MWR Contributor

The "Boz" might agree. I can hear Boz now, "Don't worry guys, I've got this. Bring it, Jackson. You ain't got nothing."

[video=youtube;lSjllemuOh0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSjllemuOh0[/video]

16. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

He played on some very good teams. Remember, he joined the Browns at the tail end of their historic run, played the first part of his career for Brown, and was on some strong units his latter years in the League.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Neither of their teams ever won more than one playoff game. Detroit made the playoffs 5 times. They were hardly ojs bills.

18. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

No team in the NFL won more than one game pre-Super Bowl era. There was no NFL playoff format when Jim Brown was in the NFL. The NFL prior to the first Super Bowl era was much like MLB of that time. The winner of the west and east conference would play for the championship. The Browns conference 1st place finish in 1964 resulted in an NFL championship against the Colts in 1964. They won the conference title the following year in 1965 but lost to GB in the NFLtitle game.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  19. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Barry is as good a football player that I've ever seen.

20. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I feel like Walter Payton deserves strong consideration, as does Emmitt Smith.

Maybe Larry Csonka is on the fringe, somewhere, too.

And, to be clear, I loved Barry Sanders, and believe that a strong case can be made for his being the GOAT. And when you think about his being literally all Detroit had, what he accomplished was even more impressive.

Weird fact: I can still remember the KNS reprinting an article from Stillwater, right after Sanders won the Heisman, which talked about how a lot of schools passed on him, because they didn't think he was big enough to play. And Tennessee was one of the schools that were mentioned as having told him that.