Barry Sanders

Discussion in 'Sports' started by The Dooz, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

Jimmy Johnson best described Barry Sanders. It is like reaching out trying to catch a butterfly.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Singletary saying he couldn't touch him if they were both locked in a phone booth was a good one too.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Brown was more of a modern pro football player in a time of the NFL being filled with oil field workers.

4. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Smith was good, but you and I could averaged 1000 yards a year behind the offensive line he had.

5. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

The guy led the league at 5.4 ypc one season playing fullback. Going to the WFL derailed his career. He would rank up there otherwise.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Smith was tough and played with a lot of injuries, but you're right, he was running behind a wall that left only defensive backs to make tackles.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Which is why I have wet dreams thinking about Sanders running on that team, with only safeties to juke.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

[video=youtube;vKjfoQVssBo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKjfoQVssBo[/video]

In this video, he makes Reggie White, Mike Singletary, Lawyer Milloy, Derrick Brooks and John Lynch look like middle school kids.

9. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

He made some people look really bad. There one second, gone the next. I think I twisted my ankle watching it just now.

10. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

I agree. ****erson is underrated, and I think it is in part because of the drama around his contracts. But he arguably had 2 of the 3 or 4 greatest seasons a running back ever had - his rookie season, his single season record season and then I would put OJ's 2,000 yard season as the greatest season ever.

But, I did not realize Barry averaged 5ypc over his lifetime. That is a little surprising. You can make the argument he was the GOAT, I just put him slightly behind the three above.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Barry rushed for exactly 2000 yards in 14 games in the 1997 season. Through two games, he had 53 yards.

OJ's 2,003 yard season was done in 14 games.

12. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Earl or Jim Brown.

13. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

You switch them out and Smith doesn't even get mentioned in the GOAT convo, even now I consider his mentioning to pure lunacy. Best OLine in all of football, HOF QB, HOF WR, great D to get the ball back. Please. Barry Sanders had one OL that could've played on those Cowboy teams and Herman Moore. Scott Mitchell and Rodney Pete at QB.

It's not particularly close between those two. Then I again, I'm taking Barry over anyone at the RB spot.

14. GahLee

I think it's fair to put Peterson and Lynch in that group. Two tough bastards.

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

not for me. those guys don't / didn't run like campbell. He was also fast as all hell behind those thunder thighs.

16. MWR

MWR Contributor

Big Earl ran as hard as anyone. Check out the collision at around 1:30 between Jack Tatum and Campbell. Looks like both of them were addled for an instant or two. :)

[video=youtube;3GoaYkqq_KA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GoaYkqq_KA[/video]

17. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

The "assassin". Just nasty. One of my all-time favorites on the defensive side of the 'ball.

He, Atkinson and Brown were a fearsome secondary

18. GahLee

Peterson has wheels. Lynch isn't as fast but they're both a headache to tackle.

19. MWR

MWR Contributor

Soul patrol

20. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Top 5 All-time power 'backs, I'll go with

1. Campbell
    2. Brown
    3. Csonka
    4. Payton
    5. Riggins

Honorable Mention
    Nagurski*

*We've all heard or read the stories of Bronko Nagurski --- the man, the myth, the legend There must be something to those stories to have an award (Bronko Nagurski Trophy) named in his honor