Basilio: Hart will move fast, 'AA will too

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by OrangeBlood79, Nov 14, 2014.

1. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

"One insider last night told me that NCAA is back on its game and being very aggressive in their investigations these days. This flies in the face of assumptions from the national media who see this as a time of leniency....Insiders tell me that Dave Hart is not going to stretch himself out on this deal. I don't think he's going to go to the wall for Tyndall. In other words, the NCAA better come pretty close to striking out on this deal or UT will be head hoops coach hunting pretty soon...

That same insider last night told me that the investigative arm of the NCAA is trying to move faster than it did during Pearl Gate a couple of years back. How long will it ultimately take? Great question. But I'm told it's going to be quicker than in the past. It's a point of emphasis. Let's put it that way.
    ."

Link

I take everything that comes from Basilio with a grain of salt but, other than the not-so-startling prognostication of DT's future, the things that stuck out were TB's characterization of the investigative arm of the 'AA these days. Once again, it seems as though the 'AA will use UT's men's BB program as evidence of their power and prowess. Ill conceived as their perceptions may be, forgive me if "*** you" (nods to Jay) aren't the first two words that come to mind when the 'AA comes knocking at the proverbial door of our BB program...again.

Hart moving fast should come as no surprise, I suppose, especially when you consider it took him less time to hire the head coach of his AD's men's basketball program than the total runtime of He Got Game.

Here's the thing though...how does Tyndall's inevitable(?) dismissal affect Hart? Supposedly, Hart is gunning for the conference office, once Slive is gone--does this speed that process along or does it hurt his chances from even being considered? Will our illustrious administration hold Hart accountable for exposing the University to yet another 'AA clusterf*ck?

Most importantly...

Is there a candidate out there worth a damn who would take this position, given its current state?

I'm concerned, to say the least.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

If we lose Tyndall, and nothing happens at UNC, I think a lawsuit is in order.

3. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Agreed. If the NCAA tries to go hard on us after all the shit they've let programs get away with the past few years, our AD should fight them every step of the way, which obviously won't happen but a man can dream.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tennessee has nothing to fight. Tyndall either did or didn't commit NCAA violations at his previous job.

5. RockyHill

Yeah my post was dumb. It just infuriates me how the NCAA operates.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I just mean how they seem to have no qualms about affecting us, but look the other way at other schools in well-documented ways. My play as an AD facing any sort of NCAA flak would be lawyering up and asking why Auburn and UNC get passes.

7. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

You da man!

8. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Excellent post.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The NCAA will say "Don't hire cheaters"

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They suck, no doubt.

11. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Is there no one out there with both the power and the balls to use it to end the botched abortion known as Dave Hart?

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Didn't we ask them if there were any issues they were aware of? I thought I read that we did.

13. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Jay, if this whole mess would somehow rid us of Dave Hart I think it will be worth it. I understand the next AD could rival Hart's suckitude, but there is at least a chance we could get Blackburn or someone with a semblance of competence.

ETA: Yes, I know Hart has done some good during his tenure. However, when it comes to actions directly related to fielding competitive athletics he has performed poorly.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They can say it's not their job to vet Tennessee's hires and they were not aware at the time.

15. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

So if Tyndall were to be fired mid season how long would we have to wait to target a quality coach? After the tournament?

16. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Ultimately, when push comes to absolute shove, the 'AA can only go so far with teams in the Power 5 Conferences as they are allowed....by the Power 5 Conferences, themselves.

Given that, I think some of the disparity that you see in how the AA deals with violations at a school is as much to do with how willing a conference may be to protect or defend one member, or to "save" a certain sport or school, than another.

From that perspective, you can see how the ACC might approach a situation where the AA is after UNC hoops, versus how willing the SEC may do the same for Tennessee hoops, or pretty much anyone outside of Florida and Kentucky bball.

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

So we are the whipping boy/sacrificial lamb/scapegoat yet again?

Here, hit Tennessee to cover up Alabama's football transgressions?

18. RockyHill

I truly believe that the combo of Slive and Emmert being tight with Saban has allowed Alabama to be untouchable. There's never been rumors of huge violations in Saban's time there but there's been tons of little stuff pop up and it seems the NCAA won't even look into it.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Auburn bought Cam and walked right in to a national championship. It's not just Saban

20. RockyHill

But the NCAA at least investigated Cam. Out of curiosity, is the consensus here that Cam's Dad asking for money should have made him in eligible? Obviously the guy got paid, but they never could prove it.