Beds

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Indy, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

What kind of mattress are people sleeping on these days?

I’m planning to upgrade to a king sized bed once we move into the new house, so I’m looking for suggestions. I haven’t purchased a mattress since college.

No idea what prices are like for this sort of thing. I’m willing to spend some money for quality, but I’m also probably not trying to go crazy with it.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Go to your local thrift store.

Buy whatever is available that fits your bed frame.

You’re welcome

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Don't get a sleep number. It's 2 air mattresses with padding on top. Watched them put it together and couldn't believe how big of a pos it was.

cpninja likes this.
  4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Don’t have the bed frame yet.

I’ve typically gone cheap on mattresses, but I also sleep like shit most nights. Wouldn’t mind investing in something nicer if it helps me sleep better.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Thanks. Haven’t seen it pop up on many lists, so not surprising.

6. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Go to Mattress Firm. Tell them what you are seeking (size, price, etc.) and let them suggest. Lay on a few suggested until you find the one you want. Good mattresses affect the quality of life so don't go cheapest.

cpninja and IP like this.
  7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, if you are serious then you should go to a place that has the mattresses there for you to evaluate. I have had good experiences with Ikea and Mattress Firm. If you go somewhere that is showing you the mattress and encouraging you to try it, you know it isn't just a gimmick. They actually want to sell you something you will want.

8. cpninja

cpninja Member

I got my dad a king sized Titan mattress last year and he's liked it a lot. IIRC it was about $1100 or so and that was on the lower end of the mattresses we looked at. It's super firm and targeted more towards large/heavy people(it's pretty much miserably stiff if you're not 225lbs+) but it's not a bad mattress if that's what you are after. My partner and I have bought Leesa and Tuft&Needle over the last few years and found both to be fine. They've held up for 4 or 5 years and if not for a pending move we'd probably get another 4 or 5 years out of them before they needed to be replaced. That's all online "mattress-in-a-box" stuff though. Haven't set foot in mattress store since I was a kid so cant really speak to that experience or pricing although I would imagine it's going to be in the same ballpark as online prices

King size is gonna be expensive but I wouldn't skimp on the bed these days, good sleep is important and considering the amount of time spent on it a really good bed is one of the better investments you can make IMO

9. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Most of these online mattress sellers have 100 night guarantees, where if you don’t like it you can send it back for free and get a full refund.

I just bought my daughter the purple mattress and it is amazing. Will probably end up switching our mattress out for one soon as well.

Keep in mind, best time to buy mattresses is Black Friday. As in, we saved $1500 (but we also got the whole bundle of two sets of sheets, two of their purple foam pillows, mattress topper, and mattress).

10. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Pretty much what has already been said.

I've always bought from a store. I'm not saying I wouldn't order online and see, but I have no plans to do so either.

We bought a foam mattress this last time before we moved. I don't like it. It feels like the sides are breaking down, and I just don't sleep well on it.

You often get what you pay for, but that doesn't necessarily mean you have to go with the most expensive option. Just that the cheapest models tend to be just that, cheap.

One final note, we skimped on buying a mattress early in our marriage. When we finally spent a little more for a higher quality one, it was like a night and day difference in sleep quality.

11. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Never go cheap on things that go between you and the ground: shoes, tires, mattresses, and hookers.

10SEvols, Indy, cpninja and 1 other person like this.
  12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Sleep on the ground.

13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I bet Lebron would let you sleep in his lap

14. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

No matter what mattress you buy, rotate it every month.

2Maggitt2Quit and CardinalVol like this.
  15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Preach.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

It’d probably be the greatest night’s sleep of all time.

2Maggitt2Quit likes this.
  17. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Idk I bet he flops around all night

2Maggitt2Quit, Indy, Ssmiff and 2 others like this.
  18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Purple has been one we are considering. I got my fiance a purple seat cushion for long car trips, and she loves it. It looks like most places have President's day sales going on through the weekend, so we are going to try to take advantage of that. We are already in a position where we have to buy certain furniture (a desk for my office, for example), so we may just get everything we plan on needing in the near future. Bed is second or third on that list.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Seems to be a mix of online and store suggestions, with a slight edge towards the store. That's interesting.

Saatva seems to come highly recommended online. Anyone have one?

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

That's part of the plan, as long as the weather cooperates this weekend.