Beer

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by USAF_Vol, Aug 16, 2011.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Today I learned that in Montana you can be a brewery and sell beer until 8pm but you can only sell beer after 8pm if you have a liquor license and said license can be shared by multiple establishments.

2. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I haven’t been able to drink a lot of beer of late, but we did stop by Barrique in Nashville last week

They make some really good beers, including a really nice Pilsner and Czech amber lager.

I’m honestly a bit burned out on IPAs but they make a pretty solid one of those as well

3. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I do not like IPAs. I do not like the super hoppy beers. I prefer the ales. Probably my go to is Sam Smith's Nut Brown.

But everybody has their own taste and (for me) it has changed over time. After 4 years of Bud and PBR during my tour, I can not drink the beechwood aged Bud without getting a headache after drinking more than one. Instant headache.

I determined that life is too short to drink cheap shit. Drink what you like even if it ain't cheap.

justingroves likes this.
  4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

It is crazy how tastes and reactions change. I used to drink Newcastle, among others, and just can’t anymore. Can’t do IPAs or any Sam Adams. Now recently, I can’t do Tito’s vodka and switched to grape based. With all of that and stomach reactions at 3 am, I have maybe 4 drinks a month and they may all be in one day on a golf course.

5. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Yeah, Newcastle was my cheap, keep a 12 pack in the fridge beer. Something changed.

My son told me the brewery/bottler (or something) changed for Newcastle and it changed (not for the better).

There are some local breweries over here that have some passable ales that available in stores that are not too bad.

6. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Newcastle used to be imported. I recently noticed that it is now brewed domestically before putting it back on the shelf. I don't know if that is the difference. It had been quite a while since I had seen it for sale.

justingroves likes this.
  7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I drank quite a few of them on vacation. I forgot that I liked them.

8. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Maybe that was it. I thought he told me the domestic brewer changed. I forget. It changed and not in a good way.

9. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

It seems I remember him telling me that when the bottle changed, the brewer changed. I want to say that originally Sierra Nevada was the stateside Brewer and it was OK. But they changed the Brewer and it went downhill. I don't remember, exactly or I wasn't listening when I was listening.

10. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

It seemed like I had some a couple of years ago, either right before or right after we moved back, and it didn't seem the same. I have started drinking Abita's Turbodog when I want something along those lines and don't want to spend a lot. It's not quite the same, but it works for making a black and brown.

11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I don't recall buying it without the import label on it. When did they start brewing it stateside?

12. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I am not sure. When you get my age time gets blurry. 1 year could be 5 years, etc. My son told me about a year or so ago? We were by the pool and drinking beer.

warhammer likes this.
  13. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

My son has decided to brew beer. His first keg was an IPA, because 2 of his close buddies like IPAs. I declined.

But his 2nd keg was in my honor, a Nut Brown based off of the Sam Smith recipe. It was pretty good for his 1st batch.

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I’ve thought about trying it because I like doing stuff like that but I’ve heard there’s a learning curve and you can just go down to the store and spend $10

15. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

True. Or just hope that family or friends get good at brewing it.

My best friend and college buddy got into brewing about 5 years after we graduated (before the interwebz). He had his set-up at the house of one of his work colleagues. Some of the best, freshest nut brown ale I've ever had. We started drinking Newcastle just so we would have the brown bottles.
    He had a bottle capper and everything.

My son just got on the Utubes and figured it out.

Edit: Actually, I was required to save all my dark beer bottles. That was my price for admission. Not sure if they were Newcastle or not. I forget.

16. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I have a former coworker who had just gotten into it several years ago now, almost 20, right before he left the crap hole where we worked. He and some other folks opened their own brewery a few years ago. I haven't tried any of his beer. His brewery is in Texas, and I ain't ever lost anything down there. I am glad he managed to get that far.