Being White is a Privilege...

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by XXROCKYTOPXX, Jun 21, 2012.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

There are a whole bunch of folks in Appalachia who are wondering when this white privilege is going to kick in for them.

2. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

That is exactly right. Come hang out in Scott County, Unimane, and then tell me about the white privilege.

3. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

So by bringing up this supposed racial divide is supposed to make things better and not further the division? This is like the media calling murders hate crimes when it's a person of one race killing a person of another race. Murder is always fueled by hate, dumbasses. It doesn't matter what color the perp is or what color the victim is. Try treating everyone a certain way no matter the color. But I won't even get started on a tangent of how I can't stand the media.

4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

So they chose to isolate themselves and failed to capitalize on their advantages, big deal. Besides, the fact that you had to seek out such an outlier group instead of society as a whole makes quite a statement. That video, and white guilt, may be [uck fay]ing retarded, but every issue they pointed out is factually correct.

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Scott county is in the top ten in welfare benefits per capita in the united states while being 99.9 percent white.

6. Unimane

I lived in East Tennessee for over 15 years. I don't need a primer on those people. My point still stands. If you don't think you get some ingrained benefits by being born white in this country, then you are [uck fay]ing blind. Dealing with it by being ashamed of being white or apologizing to black people is moronic, but the facts of society are that white privilege is a real concept. I do think it is slowly lessening in fits and spurts and may be irrelevant in 50 years, or whatever, but there is so much evidence out there that I can't believe anyone would deny it unless they ignore it or avoid it.

7. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

An outlier as in...white people?

8. hatvol96

"Chose to isolate?" You mean like black folk in Watts, South Philadelphia, Oakland, West Baltimore, et al who simply bemoan their fate and never make a single attempt to get outside their neighborhood?

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Tall people and good looking people also have an advantage

10. Unimane

As in they are a small, isolated group that doesn't represent the norm and failed to capitalize on the existence of white privilege throughout history for various reasons.

11. hatvol96

You didn't know? Harlan, Kentucky is essentially a suburb of Kabul, Afghanistan. Totally removed and isolated from the rest of the world. I-75 is a mere mirage.

12. Unimane

You know why those communities exist, right? You never heard of racial covenants?

But, yeah, I guess you're right. Black people just get incarcerated at a higher rate, detained by the police at a higher rate, suffer higher rates of poverty, serve longer sentences on average than whites for the same crime, etc., etc, because they are just [uck fay]ing lazy.

And, weren't you the one bemoaning the treatment and perception of black athletes in the thread about LeBron James?

Sometimes I think you argue just to argue.

13. Unimane

nm

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  14. hatvol96

Did racial covenants stop industrious southern blacks from moving north in the '50s and '60s and building solid lives through work in the manufacturing plants in Ohio and Michigan? What racial covenants now stop a jobless man in Harlem from heading somewhere that jobs are available? I'm anti-excuse. If someone has made an effort and been screwed by the system, I'll be the first to take up their cause. The loser who sits on his hand and cries that the deck is stacked against him can go eat shit.

15. hatvol96

Yeah, that's an accurate analysis of what I said.

16. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

How do you explain the success of immigrants from places like India and China?

17. hatvol96

Yellow privilege.

18. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Racist, imo.

(I'm kidding Uni. Couldn't resist).

19. hatvol96

I was wondering when someone would jump on the Perotesque language.

20. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

We should form a new minority group- Appalachian-Americans.