Being White is a Privilege...

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by XXROCKYTOPXX, Jun 21, 2012.

1. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Jesco White is dancin away thinking about all his privileges.

2. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

I laughed pretty hard.

3. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

When I try to get a point across, I write a bunch of shit on my face.

4. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Harder for black people. Another white privilege.

5. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Classic.

6. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

A white person born to a welfare family in Scott County is in no more privileged position than any black person. That point still stands.

7. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Privileged? Not so much. Advantaged? Possibly.

8. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I don't see how. They live in a drug-infested place with very little chances for employment or advancement, and they don't have the ability to rely on things like affirmative action to get into school. I think you could argue they're less privileged/advantaged than lots of black folks.

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

The only privledge or advantage that someone way get is being born into a middle class or better family or have parents that care for them and desire them to do well and push them. There is no racial divide in this.

What blows my mind the most is that the school administration totally supports this idiotic endeavor.

10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I was talking in general, more so than in a specific area.

11. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I see. I think Hat and I were just saying that there is no general rule on this. It may be true for some, but it most certainly isn't for others despite what Unimane thinks.

12. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I think racism is alive and well and I also think the legacy of slavery has had pervasive effects on our society that last today. It is probably diminishing and for that we can be thankful.

But programs that approach the race issue by accusing a generation of people of being "privileged" and another group, therefore "non-privileged", will not by any stretch of the imagination solve any kind of race problems or make any sense of diversity. As Hat said, it exchanges one blanket generalization for another. It does the opposite of approaching race in a sensitive way... it stokes racial angst.

One more thing, what does Duluth, Minnesota, a city where 93-percent of its inhabitants are white and less than 2 percent are black, know about fostering racial harmony or dealing with difference on a large scale?

13. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Anh, I think there is a white advantage in specific situations. Overall? Not so sure.

The Marine Corps has a definite white advantage, especially in several MOS's, where not so subtle racism and selection bias exist.

14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

If there weren't advantages to being white, there wouldn't be a need for programs like affirmative action or for companies to advertise as equal opportunity employers. Is everybody or every employer like that? No, but discrimination still exists and they're not discriminating against me as a white male.

15. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I think there's a real argument to be made there isn't a need for affirmative action.

16. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Yeah, and what happened once the wars ended and the white soldiers came back to claim their jobs? Why was (is) unemployment levels for black workers twice what white workers is?

Look, its all well and good that you are "anti-excuse", but that doesn't preclude observing the obvious inherent structures that exist. If there isn't a structured sense of white privilege, answer this; why is there a disproportionate representation in the power structure? To wit:

- 85% of Congress is white (2 non-white senator)
    - 90% of governors are white
    - 96% of Fortune 500 companies are led by white CEO's

So, do I believe in no excuses? Yes, but I'm also not [uck fay]ing blind. There does exist a distinct advantage built into our society, unless you can somehow explain those numbers to me in a way that demonstrates it all about merit and non-whites are just not pulling their weight.

17. Unimane

nm

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  18. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

African Americans make up less than 13% of the population in the USA. They have about 10% of Congress and the Presidency. That doesn't seem to be some gross underrepresentation to me.

19. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

If you have women or minorities in a position to make hiring choices, there probably is an argument.

As our generation, who was raised to be more accepting of people who are perceived as 'different' than the majority, move into positions of power, again, an argument can be made. And by our, I mean Gen Xers. However, I think the recent vote in NC against gay marriage is just one example that society as a whole still has a long way to go.

20. Unimane

Yes, but the question was white privilege. Whites make up 70% of the population, which is very disproportionate to the numbers above. Hell, I could make much worse if I make a comparison of white males.

Like I said before, I think the problem is diminishing. But, to just think it doesn't exist is absurd. Of course, the video is ridiculous, too, with it's white guilt complex baloney and teary-eyed actors ashamed of themselves for no reason.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012