Ben's Conspiracy Theories

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Unimane, Mar 15, 2017.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

It would probably shock you to learn folks from New York City who never shot a rifle before joining the Marine Corps routinely shoot moving man sized targets at 1,000 yards as part of qualification for a pretty routine and mundane MOS.

Nothing he did was elite.

Oswald fired three rounds in nearly 6 seconds at a slowly moving target not even 100 yards away, with the fathest shot more oblique than straight lines.

I want you to mentally count Mississippi's in your head going Bang, 1 Mississippi, work the bolt, bang, 3 Mississippi work the bolt, bag, 6 Mississippi and tell me you cannot do it.

Now switch to pulling the trigger with your left hand and working the bolt with your right, never removing either hand from either action.

Still convinced you need to be "elite" to fire three rounds in 6 seconds at a target not even 100 yards away?

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Agreed, without equivocation.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Even if it's relatively hard who is to say he didn't just get lucky? In one of my dumber moments I hit a moving police car at 100 feet right on the windshield with a water balloon. Try that 100 more times and I doubt I could do it.

4. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I shot my brother in the head with a paintball while he was running at about 100 feet today. Wasn't even really trying to hit him.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Wait, JFK took down the twin towers?

6. fl0at_

His rifle and ammo combination was probably a 2.5-3 MOA combo, which means, statistically speaking, most rounds fired would fall in a grouping up to about 9 inches.

The average man's head size is something like 6.5 inches in width.

Statistically speaking, 6.5/9, or roughly 72% of his shots should have impacted his target's head, were that his aiming point.

He hit 1/3, point of aim, point of impact, or 33.3%, which would fall in line with the average.

I'd expect cops and well trained military to hit near 2/3rds.

7. fl0at_

You're biased though. I'm not saying he acted alone; I'm saying his marksmanship doesn't get me all hot and bothered.

8. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

It was part of his plan to steal the Jack Ruby.

9. fl0at_

National Treasure 4: The Jack Ruby

10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Ok, since we've come this far, tell me about the Jack Ruby conspiracies.

11. fl0at_

He owed the Mafia, and since they hit JFK, through Oswald, he punched Oswald's ticket.

I think that is the general thought there.

12. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

There are plenty of independent studies with former snipers/marksman who said it would be impossible for a hack shot like Oswald to have done it alone. Guess it is up to the individual to decide who to believe.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Impossible? Improbable I get, but impossible?

14. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

I believe Carlos Hathcock replicated the exact scenario at Quantico and they couldn't do it.

15. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Told y'all it was going to be good.

You're welcome T.

16. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

He was Oswald's doppelgänger, a no-name, no-account wannabe who was at the right place at the right time.

He owned a burlesque club in Dallas and tried to schmooze everyone, but was no more with the mafia than Jackie was.

17. fl0at_

Good lord, son.

The guy didn't put three perfect shots on target. He put three poor shots on target, the last and easiest being the head shot impact.

And if that one hadn't struck home, he'd have shot a 4th one.

Attempting to replicate in the exactness of sequential order is going to fail. Instead look at three independent things:

1. Getting the shots off at speed.
    2. Being that inaccurate at that close of a distance
    3. Getting the shots off at speed, being that inaccurate.

Tenny has shown 1, and thus also 2, and thus 3, and I've told you how you can conduct the exercise at home.

Anyone who thinks it impossible, doesn't know shooting, or has biased themselves and can't come to terms with it not being fast, and not being accurate.

That alone makes me question Hathcock running such a test. He would have seen the feasibility.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Wonder if any of the 8th's marksmen could hit the shot?

19. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

I'd be reasonably confident getting 2 of 3.

The slow speed of the car makes the adjustment for movement next to nothing, aim center mass, breathe and squeeze.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  20. fl0at_

I'd be more shocked that anyone went 0fer. If the test was conducted right.

If we take the hypothesis that Oswald was serviceable as a shooter, but nothing special, then why are we trying to recreate mediocrity?

The test should be engage the target at your leisure, don't worry about the timer.

I bet if you then looked back at the shots, and measured the time, you'd find good shooters engage when the shots favored accuracy, and did it just as quick. And bad shooters did it just as quick, but with terrible accuracy.

People are creating the test to fail. They're saying you have to shoot when the target is here, here and here. And the timer starts when we say go.

That means the test's best outcome is Oswald, so of course more are going to fail than not.

What if a shooter started shooting when JFK was oblique and going away? Larger target, less left to right movement. Easier shot.

Still hard? Hell no.

Oswald was bad. Trying to recreate bad is a recipe for failure. Instead show that he was bad by taking good shooters, and showing how a good shooter would have done it. And you'll find the results far, far exceed Oswald.