Ben's Thoughts: French Election

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by ben4vols, May 2, 2017.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Pretty much. When camps were open to the public, we made sure everything was defarbed (period correct). When camps closed to public, we were more relaxed. While I did sleep in a canvas A-frame tent that was period correct, I had a metal framed cot I slept on. I also kept a cooler in my tent for food & drinks. I always kept the cot covered & I built a wooden box in period style that my cooler fit in. Some guys went hard core & always slept under the stars. I viewed it as a hobby that I paid my own money to do. I wasn't getting paid to do it, so as long as everything non-period was disguised to look period, I was ok with that. But clothes, weapons, accouterments (cap boxe, cartridge box, canteen, haversacks etc), and weapons were all 100% period correct 100% of the time.

And yes. I've camped multiple days for events. One of the coolest ones I did was the 140th anniversary of Shiloh in 2002. Was over 25k reenactors there. Was pretty dang wild. There was a 20 pounder siege cannon there that I was about 1/2 mile away from. The ground still shook every time it fired. If I remember correctly, those guys said they shot 5lbs of powder with every shot.

2. JayVols

Don't get me started on chiggers......

3. JayVols

I said it in a nice joking way.

FYI, I'm about as far from a hippie as one can get. I own too many cattle that release too much methane to be a hippie.

4. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

It's all good man. Nothing here gets the needle moving for me.

5. JayVols

One of my pet peeves in college (and now) is when actual hippie types wore (wear) wool socks with Birkenstock sandals. Not sure why, but I hate that. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Birkenstocks. The Birkenstock Soft Sole Jerusalem Cruisers type sandal is as comfortable of a shoe you can find. But wool socks with sandals? Aw heeeyaaalll naw!