Better to be born rich than gifted?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Oct 13, 2018.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I looked it up, they only used people of European ancestry. I don't see how it can be racially biased if it was focused on one "race."

2. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Ok yeah that was probably poor wording and I’m inclined to agree the number isn’t really substantial. It’s easy for people (on both sides) to get sucked into thinking Twitter/ the media are in any way a reflection of the majority and I did it just then.

3. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I think having context and perspective on how things work along with a willingness to put the effort in to make it work (both money and genetics can make the amount of work needed less) are some of the biggest factors to success there are.

That’s one reason why I think money is so strongly correlated. Beyond having needs met, resources, parents time, etc - people with money often understand how it works. And how business works, and how college works, and ...

NorrisAlan, IP and RockyHill like this.
  4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Something I would like to see, especially in middle and lower classes - involvement of grandparents in kids lives versus success.

I know for me growing up have 2 sets of active grandparents in my life that allowed both my parents to work helped us out then and now tremendously financially. Same now, my mom watches our kids so my wife can work part time, this continuing the snowball.

NYY, RockyHill and justingroves like this.
  5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It's also good for the grandparents.

I've always heard raise your kids, and you get to enjoy your grandchildren. Enjoy your kids, and you get to raise your grandchildren.

CardinalVol and NorrisAlan like this.
  6. CardinalVol

Whole lot of truth there.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I really think that's a huge part of it. I also think there's just an acceptance of how things are by a lot of people. For a lot of people, it's mom and dad worked dead end jobs all my life and so will I. Conversely, my parents pretty much instilled in me that I was going to college. There was never even a moment I can recall where I wasn't going to go. Never even thought about opting for something different and the idea that I wouldn't get in was preposterous. It was just a foregone conclusion and it became reality. I guess if my parents had drilled into me that I'd never be more than a high school dropout, maybe I'd be making minimum wage somewhere right now.

8. CardinalVol

I would go so far as to say that if you just evened out everything on 1/1/19, redistributed it all so every person in American started with the same amount, we'll say $250K, that within two generations the blood lines would be right back to where they were now 75% or greater of the time.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think if you wiped everyone's memory and did that, there would be no obvious association. Otherwise, ya, the experience and knowledge from wealth would have an effect.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

To be clear, there is no difference in talent between socioeconomic groups.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I have a hard time buying that or that we can effectively measure that.

12. CardinalVol

Same here. Not sure how you do or can. Nor does it make any sense.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

So then adopted children born to lower socioeconomic families should have significantly less success than natural born children of the same socioeconomic level of the adopters.

And I don't think that is true at all.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

What doesn't make sense is thinking a rich kid is somehow naturally more talented.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don't think he's naturally more talented. I think he's more likely to have a parent or parents that were more talented and therefore more likely to have inherited some of that.

Also, although I follow what you are trying to say, I'm not sure talent would be the right word to use there, because talent can be developed and rich kids are quite a bit more likely to have that development.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

rich parents are far more likely to give a shit because that is what got them there in the first place

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

And that isn't "talent." That's nurture, not nature.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think we are coming at this in different ways. I agree that rich kids are more likely to have the development, and is what I thought I had been saying.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think they are probably also more likely to have it by nature, too, though. I don't think there's any way to prove that.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i think there is an element of both