Better WR Debate: Hunter or CP

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by lylsmorr, Oct 31, 2012.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

It's the simple fact that basically anyone else seems to be a step down from Gruden. Gruden is someone who walks into the job and instantly makes UT a contender in the SEC.

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

And that expectation is ridiculous.

3. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

What expectation? I don't see it being ridiculous that Gruden could take this team and have them beating South Carolina, UF and UGA to take the East.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Meh. Depends. If the big 3 on offense leave or if we can't significantly improve the defense we still won't be able to match those guys just yet.

5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I'm assuming at least Hunter and Bray would come back

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Hunter has a kid and might be worried about getting Lattimored. Bray may not have the option...

7. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

You should, I can't see how a team can justify taking either of them with a high pick at this point. If Dooley were somehow to be retained I see them leaving just cause they want out from under him.

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

To come back?

9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Their respective stocks have dropped over the past 4 weeks. Plus the Florida game.

10. GahLee

That's true, having already had a serious knee injury he may take whatever money he can get at this point. Barring injury and better coaching he could be the top WR taken after his senior year, he has the talent but he hasn't showed it this year. Not getting open against elite defenses and dropping huge passes is a sure fire way to drop your draft stock.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Hunter would have to go nuts at his workout, which he is perfectly capable of doing.

Kind of sucks that we've got as experienced an OL as we'll ever had with several guys that will get an opportunity to play on Sundays, two wideouts that should go first day, the strongest armed QB we've had in forever that was a stud as a true frosh, another potential NFLer at TE... and they will barely break .500 this year after 2 losing seasons.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

If he is as good as once advertised, he'll still eventually get a huge contract even if he disappoints on draft day, a la Jason Witten or Arian Foster.

13. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

How sad is that? But hey, Dooley has nothing to work with. It's not his fault.

Haven't heard the selling part.

14. GahLee

That's also true.

15. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Best case IMO.

Bray and Patterson stay, Hunter goes.

Worst case IMO.

Patterson and Hunter both go. Bray stays.

16. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Best case is all 3 right?

17. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I don't see all 3 staying.

My best case is under that assumption.

18. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Hunter and Patterson both have reasons to stay and reasons to go. If Gruden comes in and convinces them that they haven't sniffed a good coach since they've been here and that he can get them drafted in the top 5-10, I think they would listen.

19. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I can say unequivalently without a doubt they will either stay or go.

20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Sometimes it's a no-brainer to go. I think that there is a good chance though that either could potentially increase their cumulative life-time earnings by staying another year.