Big Orange Soaked Hype Thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Volgrad98, Aug 21, 2016.

1. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I'd like to see what Dobbs' passing numbers are if you take away the screens. His comp % would probably be like 40%.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

IMHO, here is what our playbook should look like:

1) Run between the tackles with Hurd
    2) Play action pass off of Hurd to the Tight End
    3) Run-Pass option to Kamara
    4) Throw it DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

And then add in any hinky-dinky filler plays that Lyle has a hard on for maybe once in a while.

3. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Correct.

4. Tenacious D

FYP

5. RockyHill

Then that is on Butch. I know Dobbs is inaccurate, but it doesn't matter. We can get our receivers single coverage. All you have to do is get some air under it and don't underthrow it. Our receivers can take it from there.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I've never seen an offensive staff seemingly try to go away from the players' strengths in my life. Wolf is a great receiving threat. I believe he's dropped two or three catchable passes in his career here. He's usually the 4th option.

7. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

It's troubling that Dobbs hasn't improved his accuracy. Almost like we don't have a QB Coach on the staff.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Look at Dobbs' completion percentage on third downs.

9. Tenacious D

When was the last time the ball came out of Dobbs' hand and you would have bet $1000 as to where it might land, in relation to his intended receiver?

10. RockyHill

Obviously the staff on O sucks but I don't think it's real far fetched that his accuracy issues are on the fringe of unfixable.

That doesn't excuse not scheming around those shortcomings though.

11. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

The misuse of the TE position is criminal. That position alone could open up so much more of our offense if it was even remotely utilized.

12. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

What horseshit. Unfixable? In a league where Bo Wallace and Nick Marshall won big games? The porblem is not the QB. I'll say it again. THE PROBLEM IS NOT THE QB.

For shits and giggles, can you name 3 times we've done each of the following with Dobbs as QB?

1) Roll the pocket and let him read one side of the field

2) Throw a short out route

3) Run a mesh pattern

4) Use the TE on any route other than a seam(even though I like when we do that beacuse they're usually butt-naked open)

I'll wait.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

people like to exaggerate

14. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

People overrate what you need from a QB in college football. This isn't the NFL. All you need is a passing game that firstly goes forward, keeps the safeties out of the box, can convert on third downs, and doesn't give the ball to the other team. You don't need a cannon arm or elite accuracy to do that. Josh Dobbs is more than enough QB to get us to a SECC. What fails is the passing game that only plays to Butch Jones' comfort zone and not to his players comfort zone.

15. RockyHill

Woah, hold on, maybe I could have explained myself better but I don't think we are really at odds here. What I'm saying is, there are some things Dobbs can't do and I don't believe that even a good QB coach could make him successful at. One of those things for example might be an out route. Generally speaking, Dobbs struggles to anticipate/lead a receiver. Why does Dobbs hit that seam route to the TE so well? It's because he can just zip it right at the guy and the ball will be catchable whether the guy is 10, 15 or even 20 yards away.

One guy you mentioned was Nick Marshall. There were things he just flat couldn't do. His height combined with a low arm angle made some throws very difficult for him, so Gus moved away from those throws.

I won't address the things you listed because I agree with you. You're not gonna find many QB's at the college level that don't have weaknesses that need to be schemed around. Kiffin did it with Compton and Coker. Gus did it with Nick Marshall. I agree with you, Dobbs is not the problem, at all.

It may be a bit far but basically we should throw away anything where we ask Dobbs to lead a receiver laterally. We've got enough playmakers that such a move wouldn't limit us. We can get by with screens, 9's, seams to the TE and that thing where we roll the QB way out and then throw back across the field.

16. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

OK, I'm just tired of hearing the standard old, "Dobbs sucks", like 95 percent of QBs in the FBS don't suck and about 3/4 of those that don't suck play in the Pac-10 and Big 12. He's plenty good enough to win us a championship. The playcalling and design of the entire offense is atrocious. No reason why we can't see improvement on that front this year. The OL and QB have been virtually the same for almost three years now, not to mention the skill players.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Every pass under 15 yards.

18. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Not sure about that. He's one hopped a few screen passes.

19. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

Regarding all this "Run between the tackles" BS, I can hear you Negavols now...."GD All www do is run right up the middle!"

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

In my much younger days, I was in this camp, I will admit. But as my knowledge of the game increased, I realized I was stupid.